Some sage advice for those holidaying in the US of A to ensure they have adequate travel insurance! On my recent trip I suffered a recurrence of a heart problem and was taken to Dr Phillips Hospital in Orlando. I cannot fault the attention i got apart from perhaps too attentive! It seemed to me that when someone presents from out of country with travel insurance all sorts of tests etc are trundled out. I knew my heart problem would right itself (which it did) and tried to get discharged. There is the problem you can of course discharge yourself but, as explained, this would invalidate your travel insurance. So I was stuck in hospital for ages waiting for a doctor to agree to release me. My wife handled the insurance contacts for me - SAGA through First Assist. Unfortunately despite repeated efforts we couldn't send them any documents nor could we get anyone in the hospital to accept our insurance details (weird) so we had to post it to them.

Since returning I have received individual bills from all (except the cleaner). I have passed these to my insurers but continued to receive chase up bills including letters from a Swiss Debt Collection company. I also had to pay for my own doctor to write a report to say I was fit to travel, this despite declaring all medical conditions on the policy application. I am assured the bills are now being paid but still have a nagging doubt that on my next visit the US Border people will stop me for non payment of debts! After some $13,000 costs I have changed my perspective on Obama Health Care. Our NHS may be dire at times but its free.

On the amusing side I was taken into hospital by 'mickey mouse' paramedics - Disney's Reedy Creek Fire Service!