<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The key phrase in that provision (which I have bolded & underlined) is "when overtaking is permitted". What you have quoted here are the rules that apply in circumstances where overtaking on the right is allowed. It can therefore be reasonably deduced that, as a general rule, it isn't permitted. I'll bet that there'll be an earlier provision within that statute that generally prohibits it and this section merely provides limited exceptions.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Frankly, your post has actually significantly weakened your proposition that it's allowed. It's rather like you posting details of when it's OK to exceed the speed limit (like emergencies for instance) as authority for the view that they can all be ignored[/quote].[/quote]

You are of course quite correct – and I posted the Florida Statute(316.083) earlier in the thread.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Florida Statute 316.083 states:
"316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.--The following rules shall govern the
overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations,
exceptions, and special rules hereinafter
stated:

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same
direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right
side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. [/quote]

Note: this is Florida Statute 316.083

Indeed the 'limitations, exceptions, and special rules hereinafter' are contained in the next Statute sub-section 316.084

This of course is the Florida Statute that Paul believes allows passing on the right:

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: Robert, just for you the official Florida statute for passing on the right which completely blows your comment of - All the official FLORIDA publications say you must pass on the left (none of which you have produced by the way)- out of the water so as I said WRONG AGAIN ROBERT.

The 2010 Florida Statutes(including Special Session A)

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.084#8195;When overtaking on the right is permitted.—
(1)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a)#8195;When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(b)#8195;Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;
(c)#8195;Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
(2)#8195;The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
(3)#8195;A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.[/quote]

All this has been explained to Paul in writing many times on this forum; including in this thread(I actually posted the Statute) I really don't know how to put it it simpler terms; perhaps someone else can explain?