Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gulf Coast - which area is best?

Gulf Coast - which area is best?

Hi All

Next August (6th) we want to rent a villa on the Guf Coast but as we've never stayed down there we need advice as to which area is best. There will be 6 adults. Ideally I'd like a waterfront or beachfront in a really nice area.

Come on you experts your advice is badly needed[msnsmile2]

Many thanks
    Jan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well we are at Rotunda at the moment and love it. The Cape Haze/Englewood area is lovely. There are loads of great beaches and fab shopping/eatingWe are going on a boat trip this afternoon with a friend and can't wait as last time we went we saw dolphins

We have also done the Keys several times but unless you dive I would say this area is better
    Ruth

Florida Newbie

Naples is best. Well I would say that as that is where my villa is !!!

Naples does seem to have the best shops/restaurants/golf/beaches that I have seen on the Gulf.

Remember though that renting somewhere that is actually on the beach on the Gulf Coast will cost a small fortune.

The good thing for you is August is not high season in Naples.

www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/1375.aspx

Hi Jan,
    are you staying in Orlando and then driving down ? The reason i ask is that the distance you want to drive from Orlando may be a consideration: Sarasota about 1 1/2 hours, Rotonda area 2 1/2 and i think naples about 4 1/2 but i'm not sure.
    I do know in the Rotonda area the beachfront places are very very expensive. Rotonda itself has a load of villas on canals but the area is not as "cosmopolitan" as Naples and Sarasota.
    Our web site has a page of infomation links about the local area. DM meif you would like the web address.

regards
    andrew
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

Florida Expert
    Hi Jan
    Ive been looking for my daughter who wanted St Petes/Clearwater area for 3 nights, beach or waterside! Accomodation is a lot pricer than Orlando and owners are more rigid ie min. booking 7 nights, Sat-Sat only. Because she was flying in and out of Orlando she did not want to drive too far for 3 nights - found her a Penthouse condo, overlooking intercoastal, sleeping up to 6. Good luck [msnwink]

Florida Savvy
    \hi Jan,

We always go to Siesta Key, Sarasota. It has one of the best beaches in the world. The sand is white and like flour. Sunset;s on beach so special.
    The village is very nice, a few bar, restaurants shops etc.

Hope this info is useful

Regards
    Julie

John and Roger,
    I know i have a vested interest as a Gulf Coast villa owner but is it worth having a new section about the Gulf in the "public" area. People could then put in recommendations about the different areas and whats available etc. Not trying to compete with Orlando but I'm sure a number of people are interested in the Gulf but don't know a lot about it.
    If Jan who owns a villa in Florida is struggling then general holiday makers might not have a clue.
    Possibly this thread could be moved there to get thiongs moving.
    Just a thought
    andrew

Hi Jan
    totally agree with the point made about the prices of beach front property on the Gulf, very expensive.
    our place is on rotonda and allows for the 10 minute drive to the beaches or a few holes of golf.
    its a beautiful area to explore with the flora, fauna and wonderful barrier islands.
    dm me and i'll give you my website.
    good luck searching[msncool]
    lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    We were at Siesta Key on Sunday and although the sand and the facilities were very nice I have to say I think the beaches at Cape Haze are much better. We went out on a boat today and saw LOADs of dolphins, although they were too quick for me, I only managed one photo. We stopped at the beach at Don Pedro State Park (next to Boca Grande by Cape Haze) and the beach was fantastic. No life guard unlike Siesta Key but then we were the only swimmers on it. The water was so warm it was like being in a bath. There were excellent facilities, toilets, showers, BBQs and picnic tables. After the fantastic day I have had I feel like I have been to paradise and back again. I like open spaces and hate crowded beaches and to me Cape Haze/Rotunda/Englewood is perfect. It has all the above but is within easy reach of shops and restaurants for when you want them. I think Andrew's idea of moving this thread into the public area is a good one by the way

Ruth

Ruth,
    just like it says on the advert; that is a "deserted beach"
    andrew