Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: visa

Florida Chatterbox

visa

i heard theres sumit about a visa u need to go to US nex year.....but u needs to go to london to get it....is this true and who needs to go?

everyone in the group or jus 1 person?
    paul and fiona

Gold 5 Star Member
    Jaff
    theres quite a few threads on here if you do a search but basically if you have a passport issued before Oct 26th 2004 then you dont need a visa still.
    The new reg that was being introduced says that in order to use the visa waiver program your passport must contain biometric data (which arent yet available) if your passport is issued AFTER 26th Oct 2004.
    Best way round it if your passport expores in next couple of years is to renew it early (up to 9 months will be added to your new passport0.
    I have seen rumours that they extension that was asked for 2 years to implemement this was denied but an extension of 1 year granted but haven't seen it on official website yet.
    Babblin Boo

Is this what your looking for;

USA forced to put off demand for biometric passports for EU visitors for two years
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The US government has puts off its demand that visitors from the EU should have biometric passports by October 2004 until November 2006. This is primarily because it there is no way the deadline can be met. The most pro-biometric passports governments like the UK are talking about starting to issue them from 2007 and it will take up to ten years for every passport-holder to have one.

At present visitors from 27 countries in the US "Visa Waiver Program" (VWP, including those in the EU) enter the USA scheme - they will have to have a machine-readable passport (which most do) from October 2004 but do not have to apply for a visa.Under the US Enhanced Security and Visa Entry Reform Act of 2002 countries in the VWP were given a deadline of October 2004 to introduce biometric passports or face - like those arriving from the rest of the world - being subjected to compulsory fingerprints and photographs when they enter.

Announcing the policy change before the US House Judiciary Committee, Secretary of State, Colin Powell, said that to introduce checks on the 27 VWP countries would lead to an extra "5 million applications in 2005" which would represent "a 70% increase in our non-immigrant workload". In the year 2000 only 10% of EU citizens moved to or visited the USA. Powell confirmed that "the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will enrol all VWP travellers in US-VISIT - the program that tracks the entry and exit of foreign visitors by using electronically scanned fingerprints and photographs."

In his speech Powell said there was evidence that fewer people wanted to visit or study in the USA as a result of the travel restrictions and that this was bad for the economy.

The European Commission and EU governments have used the US demands to back their plans for biometric passports (and ID cards) - even though the US demand would have affected a minority of EU citizens who visit the EU every year out of the new total of 450 million people (after 1 May 2004).

Background

1. Powell statement to the House Judiciary Committee, 21 April 2004: Statement
    2. USA delays demand for mandatory "machine-readable" passports (September 2003)

Dave [msnsmile2]

Florida Expert
    Hi Jaff,
    Just to add to the above excellent info. About two weeks ago I took part in a trial of the new biometric collection process which was organised by the UK Passport office to test the
    equipment for recording the biometric information. The whole process only took about 10 mins (The questionnaire filling took about 20 mins more! - but that was just for the test)It was totally non - invasive and apart from one problem - where my eyes appeared shut on the photo due to a timeslip in the software, which is a known problem and is being sorted out, the process was very smooth. 5 mins afterwards I was issued with a drivers licence size card with my photo, and some general info on it. The fingerprints (you don't even have to ink your fingers - it's all done by computer) and iris scan and pesonal data are on a chip on the card. It's as easy as having your passport photo taken in one of those photo booths. If it will save some time at US security I would have no problems with the biometric ID's.
    (Although I got to keep the card it is just for demo purposes and I can not use it for identity etc. and after the testing the data is being destroyed - but having done the procedure I would certainly go for the real thing - which they told me they hoped would start around 2006.
    Regards
    KevinT.
    Kevin

Florida Expert
    Hmmm, The chip in the card worries me a bit. We all know how tempermental technology can be sometimes.

I wonder what will happen if you fly all the way to the US and then find out at immigration that the chip is 'broken'. Hopefully back up procedures are in place and you just don't get deported.

Brizzle

Florida Expert
    Hi Brizzle,
    I was a bit concerned about losing the card or having it stolen, but I suppose the same could happen with your passport. There was a case on "Airport "recently where someone turned up at the check in desk with a passport that had been through the washing machine - hardly legible. I presume the chip is also X ray and magnetic proof!! Most credit cards are now produced with a similar chip (for chip & pin process). It would be interesting to know if anyone has similar failures with these? [msnsad]
    KevinT.
    Kevin

Florida Chatterbox
    Just to clarify, to use the Visa Waiver programme you must have a machine readable passport AND qualify for its use.

This means the Visa Waiver cannot be used if the traveller has ever been arrested, charged or convicted in a court, even being arrested and not charged means they will have to apply for a Visa and attend an interview in London.

The response from the US Embassy to a query from another forum on this point is below,

All VWP travelers agree to accept certain conditions instead of obtaining a U.S. visa. One of the conditions is that they must be able to convince immigration officers when they arrive that they are "clearly and beyond a doubt entitled to be admitted" and that they are not inadmissible under any section of U.S. immigration law.

Generally, those who are inadmissible include people who have previously overstayed their period of admission to the U.S., those who have serious communicable diseases, and those who have a criminal record.

People with criminal records are not now, and have never been, eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program. In fact, the VWP arrival form requires travelers to indicate whether or not they have ever been arrested or convicted as a condition for admission to the U.S. It is important to note that the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law and the U.S. does not recognize any felony convictions as "spent."

Travelers who have committed minor traffic offenses, like speeding, which did not result in an arrest or conviction may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified.

End Quote
    Jeff

Florida Newbie
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by phaedra
    Just to clarify, to use the Visa Waiver programme you must have a machine readable passport AND qualify for its use.

This means the Visa Waiver cannot be used if the traveller has ever been arrested, charged or convicted in a court, even being arrested and not charged means they will have to apply for a Visa and attend an interview in London.

The response from the US Embassy to a query from another forum on this point is below,

All VWP travelers agree to accept certain conditions instead of obtaining a U.S. visa. One of the conditions is that they must be able to convince immigration officers when they arrive that they are "clearly and beyond a doubt entitled to be admitted" and that they are not inadmissible under any section of U.S. immigration law.

Generally, those who are inadmissible include people who have previously overstayed their period of admission to the U.S., those who have serious communicable diseases, and those who have a criminal record.

People with criminal records are not now, and have never been, eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program. In fact, the VWP arrival form requires travelers to indicate whether or not they have ever been arrested or convicted as a condition for admission to the U.S. It is important to note that the UK Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law and the U.S. does not recognize any felony convictions as "spent."

Travelers who have committed minor traffic offenses, like speeding, which did not result in an arrest or conviction may travel visa free, provided they are otherwise qualified.

End Quote
    [/quote]

How can any authority know if you were arrested and never charged?! That wouldn't (shouldn't?!) appear on any record!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would imagine this info is available via custody records.
    blott

I would think the answer is those dam computer things,they seem to input data at every instance; soon they will tell you you are drinking too much.[msnsad]
    Dave [msnsmile2]