Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: SR60 Causeway

Florida Expert

SR60 Causeway

I'm a bit nervous of heights and bridges (the Dartford crossing brings me out in a cold sweat).

How high is the causeway crossing from Tampa to Clearwater?

Is it water all the way or are there small pockets of land?

How long does it take to drive across it?

Are you aware of the water or are the walls either side pretty high?

Is it like driving over lake jessup when travelling from Sanford to orlando?

Florida Chatterbox
    the road is massive its a bit longer and bigger than the sanford bridge...

you really dont see the edge because its so big..

Florida Chatterbox
    There is a new bridge almost ready to take you onto Clearwater Beach from the mainland and that is pretty high, may feel more comfortable taking the alt 19 to Largo and come in via Sand Key, but you will still have to use the main bridge from Tampa.
    Good luck
    Errol

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/1616.aspx[/url]

Florida Expert
    Hi Graham,
    If you can tolerate the Lake Jessup crossing then I would think you can put up with the Tampa bridge. The causeway is a little higher than Lake Jessup road but if you're driving
    then most of your attention is on the other cars on the road. It's definitely worth the journey as the beaches on the Gulf Coast like Clearwater are stunning. Very white powder like sand and turquoise sea. Can't remember exactly how long it takes to cross(probably 10 mins or so). You could try the bridges heading into Cocoa Beach as practice!!! If you can get over them without feeling queasy you're well on your way

KevinT
    Kevin

Florida Junior
    hi graham the 60 from tampa to clearwater is as flat as a pancake,there is just one small swing bridge from clearwater to the beach,from tampa to clearwater its called the courtney campbell causeway,if your driving down it at sunset is fantastic

Florida Newbie
    We recently stayed at Clearwater and the causeway crossing was ok. I am also petrified of bridges and was not looking forward too it. i think in all it is about 16 miles long. Mind you on the way to Busch gardens we were crossing the causeway, there were helicopters flying low above us and news cars by the dozen. It turned out a small plane had some trouble and had landed on the causeway on the opposite lane to us.
    Im not sure of the name of the bridge we travelled over from or too St. petersburg though the thing was enourmous and the kids took much pleasure out of my misery while we travelled over it. I had my hands over my face while crossing. The good thing was I wasnt driving at the time.
    Tina
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/2149.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Apparently that new bridge has to come down-it's not been built deep enough into the water someone was telling us. $76million I think it cost too.

The Causeway isn't like the tidal one at Lindisfarne-so don't worry!
    Orlandobabe

Florida Newbie
    The new bridge is absolutely huge and looks terrifying. You are right about the bridge being unsafe though, apparantley two of the piers have cracks in them and are having to be rebuilt. I was talking to the guy who took us down to the beach in Clearwater and he said that the company constructing the bridge also had to rebuld another bridge they had done because that was also unsafe. You'd think they'd learn by their mistakes.
    Tina
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/2149.aspx