Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mummy - WELL?!

Florida Newbie

The Mummy - WELL?!

Hey, There has so far been like one report on riding The Mummy!

What is it actually like?[}]

When we go at Christmas, is it worth going to Universal just to ride it[?]

Cheers Then![msnwink]
    Chris
    Chris

[quote]Originally posted by Campbell
    Hey, There has so far been like one report on riding The Mummy!

What is it actually like?[}]

When we go at Christmas, is it worth going to Universal just to ride it[?]

Cheers Then![msnwink]
    Chris

Chris , you will find a reply to your question here
    [http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums...opic_id=10706]
    Jen & Amy

www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1481.aspx

Florida Newbie
    Chris

I was at Universal Studios last Wednesday and had a go on the Mummy ride........it's awesome [}]. Waited an hour to get on but only because it broke down (apparently happens once a day at least !!). It's full of twists and turns and the visual effects are fab. However, I did find that its all over too quickly !

Definately worth a visit........[msnsmile2]

Shona
    Shona

Does this ride open a bit earlier, like MIB and Back to the Future? Did you arrive at the Park early and find a lot of people making a dash towards Mummy?

My daughter is trying to plan our first day at Universal - we usually rush to MIB and pick up a Terminator fastpass on the way. So she wants to know if Mummy was really popular and do we need to change our dash to Mummy instead of MIB!!
    Carla

Florida Newbie
    Not sure if it opens early Carla. We didn't arrive into Universal until 12 noon.

There's lockers at the entrance to store any bags etc and there's a separate queue for single riders (like myself) which seemed to speed up the wait time. The vehicles take 4 (I think) wide and there's 4 rows to a vehicle so the queues do move pretty fast. I think there can be somthing like 4 or 5 vehicles on the track at any one time.

Probably best to head for it first as you'll probably want to ride it again as soon as you come off !

I could tell you more but don't want to spoil it ! Have fun
    Shona

Gold 5 Star Member
    Its very good...... but not Spiderman. Descibed as a psychological ride and there are a lot of times when it stops in the dark for what seems an age building up suspense. First but is slow, in the dark past mummmies jumping up, fire, lots of bugs ( on a film screen but seemingly coming out of the walls). There was water sprayed at least once as I came out with wet hair. At one point in stops and goes backwards. At another it stops and suddenly plummets down. You eventually go up a steep roller coaster type ramp and from then on it is a Space mountain type coaster ride, fast and twisting with effects. The pre show queuing area is like an Egyptian excavation with a giant statute being unearthed and lifted out of the ground and is good.
    Julie

Florida Newbie

Taken from Daily Mirror , (This may spoil the ride as it gives a full review)

I WANT MY MUMMY May 29 2004

WOW... I didn't know that being really, really scared could be so much fun.

I had just experienced Universal Studios Florida's newest ride, The Revenge of the Mummy. Billed as "the world's first psychological thrill ride" by Universal, I endured four-minutes of sheer terror and exhilaration.

My fellow riders agreed and we greeted the attendant at the end with cheering and applause. Or so we thought.

The ride is based upon 1999's smash-hit film, The Mummy and its 2001 sequel, The Mummy Returns, both of which starred Brendan Fraser, who played Rick O'Connell, and Arnold Vosloo, who played the Mummy.

The concept behind the ride sounds deceptively simple: take the scariest elements of an old-fashioned ghost train and the most state-of-the-art special effects a top movie studio can provide. Add to that total darkness, sheer drops, cursing mummies, flesh-eating scarab beetles and the mummy of all roller-coasters, and you can see why it has taken Universal all this time, and about £50million, to develop.

In a video message, Arnold Vosloo told us how scared he had been and how even Brendan Fraser "had screamed like a small girl". Despite this, I was confident I would enjoy it.

The Revenge of the Mummy employs several firsts in a ride. The cars travel on a super-smooth, silent, sand-filled track and are propelled by an electro-magnetic propulsion system. The ride got off to a gentle start before turning a corner into our first "thrill". One of the Mummy's victims warned us to run for our lives before a giant 6ft 8ins animatronic Mummy leapt out at us, and I jumped out of my skin.

When he screamed that our souls were his, all we were happy to do was escape with our lives. It was just at this moment I remembered the time when, as a seven-year-old boy, I had been so scared of the ghost train at a local fairground, I had hidden under the seat. This time I had nowhere to hide, thanks to the tight safety bar.

After a quick burst of speed, the car travelled around another corner and we were swept into a room full of gold, jewels and other precious treasure. But this only lulls you into a false sense of security and serves to heighten the effect when the Mummy's face suddenly appears above you. As he calls to his henchmen to get you, skeleton warriors jump out at the car. By this stage, most of us were screaming like lots of small girls.

The car sped up again and we all ducked as we hurtled under a collapsing wall into the next room of the tomb.

Then we suddenly stopped and flesh-eating scarabs began to fill the room before swarming towards us. Faced with this new terror, the car then performs another first for an indoor ride - it silently switches tracks and just as the scarabs are about to attack, you suddenly drop 25ft at a 50-degree angle - but it feels far more sheer than that. The car stopped dead, but our screaming did not.

Once again the Mummy appeared above us with another chilling threat, while our car silently changed tracks underneath us. Time to breathe? No - we were catapulted up a steep slope and through the Mummy's gaping mouth. Before he can digest us, we blindly flew through a puff of smoke and the car dropped on to a stretch of very twisty, 80-degree angle, 45mph roller-coaster, and then whisked us through the dark as the Mummy's evil henchmen tried to grab us.

There are 200 speakers on the ride including 22 in the car, but you can still hear the screams coming from you and your fellow riders' throats.

Just when you think you can't take any more, the ride turns a corner into the station. We all cheered loudly, thinking that this is quite simply the best ride ever. The lady in the control booth told us to get ready to disembark when she seemed to shrink to nothing, the glass exploded on top of us, and guess who appeared?

This time our souls were going to be his for eternity and to emphasise his point, the ceiling exploded into flames.

The car surged forward on to

Florida Chatterbox
    HEE HEE! Can't wait!

Florida Newbie
    Oh, that sounds really really awesome! I can't wait now![msnsmile2]
    Thanks Everyone![msnwink]
    Chris
    Chris

Florida Savvy
    roll on this weekend.. My girls are going to be well scared!!!
    Neil & Lynne
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1468.aspx