Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: 30th April - 14th May

Florida Chatterbox

30th April - 14th May

Just getting back into the swing of work after 2 weeks in Orlando and thought I would take time out to post a Trip Report.

We left home on the evening of the 29th and made use for the first time of Virgin's Twilight Check In, which we were imprssed with and having gotten rid of the cases, we felt that our holiday had really started.

At Check In, we asked if we could purchase an upgrade and we were told by a very helpful Check In Assistant that there were 4 seats left, however as it was now 8.30pm the on site Ticket Office was closed and we would have to see them in the morning.

We were told that they opened at 6.00 a.m. so we went back to the Hotel had something to eat and had a good nights sleep.[|)]

We got up early on Friday, went through to the Sales Desk at 5.45 am to find it open and asked if we could buy an upgrade for 2 of the 4 remianing seats.

We were then told that in fact there were no seats available when we questioned the Sales Assistant further saying that if the desk wasn't open last night and the main office had closed at 9.00 pm the night before, we were puzzled as to how 4 seats could have been sold - to which we got a withering glare and told that that was the position and that was it

Anyway whilst waiting to board, we met none other than Sir Richard Branson, he was doing some publicity work, very charming indeed, I didn't bring up the issue about the upgrade though.

We got to the plane to find that it had been refitted and had the new Entertainment System, which really impressed me.[^][^]

However this was short lived, the guy next to me had a problem with his Head Phone Socket, so me being me, couldn't let him go the whole flight without anything to watch, offered him the use of mine, with me sharing my wife's headset and watching her screen.

Thankfully about 4 hours in to the flight, the Stewardess came along with a Protable DVD Player, so normality was returned.

The flight was uneventful, as always the food wasn't up to much, thank goodness we alsway take our own.

Landed 40 mins early but then made to wait on the plane for 15 mins as the Customs Hall was full through Customs within 15 mins but then had to wait ages for the bags at both collection areas, finally got out to the taxi, 2hrs 15mins after we had landed

Checked into our usual Hotel, the Rosen Plaza and got our usual room so we were all set - or so we thought.[:0]

As we were unpacking in became obvious that all of the clothes in my wifes case, including those packed in the 'spare case' which was inside the main case, were all soaking wet - so we spent several hours trying to dry everything out.

We came to the conclusion that the only way this could have happened was after we had checked the bags in at Gatwick, my wifes case couldn't have been protected from the rain that had been falling for much of the night Needless to say a letter has now been sent to Virgin.

Thankfully there was no long term damage.

The rest of the 2 weeks passed without any further problems, we spent our days getting up at around 7.00 am and either running along I'Drive or down to the Hotel Gym for good workout.

Then it was down to the pool for 9.30, with a good book to get a few rays [8D]

Early afternoon it was a light lunch and out to the shops, the usual haunts such as Florida Mall / Mall of the Mallenia and Premium Outlets - it has to be said that we didn't really buy that much ( although my credit card bill might show otherwise )

I chatted with a few of the staff at Hugo Boss & Ralph Lauren etc saying that they didn't seem to have much stock. They were telling me that they couldn't source the goods fast enough, it appears us Brits have been taking full advantage of the improved exchange rate.

After a few hours shopping it was back to the Hotel for some R&R before we went out for dinner.

We ate most nights at our favorite place, The Olive Garden on I'Drive, a big thank you to Clint / Sonny / Maria and Shelia for looking after us so
    DMC

Florida Junior
    Where did you fly from DMC? I am hoping it was gatwick because it might mean when we go in august that they will have upgraded the other planes with the good entertainment systems[msnsmile2]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DMC
    Then it was back home to cut the grass and 5 loads of washing and ironing

[/quote]

Another reason we love villas - no dirty washing to bring home

Keep hearing good things about Olive Garden, so that's another thing to add to our "to do" list
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi Hillgj1

We did indeed fly from Gatwick, but I can't remember the name of the plane.

The plane back was of the older style though.
    DMC

Florida Chatterbox
    Caroline

That's agood piont that you make about the washing, although we do "hand washing" in the Hotel and dry them on the sun beds by the pool [:I]

DMC

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DMC
    Caroline

That's agood piont that you make about the washing, although we do "hand washing" in the Hotel and dry them on the sun beds by the pool [:I]

[/quote]

I've always stayed in hotels with washing machines....my washing would be all done and ready for ironing when I got home.....I always found the top loading US washers so much better then my front loader in the UK......when we moved over the sales man in Sears tried his hardest to get us to pay $1k for a front loader....but I knew what I wanted....

Gold 5 Star Member
    Chrizzy, we find the exact opposite, the top loaders in the hotels do not seem to get hot enough to remove some of the stains on my lads clothes, even on the hottest wash. Much prefer my front loader at home. Funny how we are all different!
    Sarah

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hayter
    Chrizzy, we find the exact opposite, the top loaders in the hotels do not seem to get hot enough to remove some of the stains on my lads clothes, even on the hottest wash. Much prefer my front loader at home. Funny how we are all different!
    [/quote]

My son is in tech school doing body shop.....and I know I'd never get his clothes as clean with my front loader.....it was bad enough with my hubby coming in with bike oil all over his jeans......

I wash in cool water with my top loader and still I get a good wash.......my newer top loader in FL is even better.....but I find the water comes out hotter there.....I just think I have old plumbing up here.....

My mum always has trouble with clothes shrinking in the US......I find that a lot of clothes sent over by nans shrink....but I've yet to have that happen with my US clothes.......

Florida Expert
    I agree with sarah. I do not like the top loading machine at all, they just do not do as good a job as our front loaders. Also, you have to remember to go and out in the fabric softner. They also have a habit of grabbing hold of any loose knicker elastic / lace edging and wrapping it round the spindle in the middle.[msnsad]

Jacqui
    www.orlandovillas.com/Villas/73.aspx