Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: A Week at Greater Groves

Florida Chatterbox

A Week at Greater Groves

I have been active on this board and planned a trip to Orlando that would have been very different and now nearly as nice without the advice I got here. We stayed at Greater Groves on Hwy 27, 2 miles north of 192, last week. First villa stay. Chose the house because we wanted a cable TV in three bedrooms (and we rented a 4 bedroom to get cable TV in 3 of them), and at least a 30 ft rectangular pool. Knew nothing about the neighborhodd except that I could see from the pics that the pool area was surrounded by privacy trees and flowering plants.
    First, the house. It was nice enough, not spectacular but comfortable. Liked the one story, as we have two sets of stairs to run up and down at home adn one story was much more relaxing for vacation. Liked the house layout- master bedroom on one side, and kid's rooms on the other side, w/two living areas and kitchen in btwn. Also liked 3 baths, we each had our own, no fighting btwn the kids on using the bathroom, and one was off the pool which was convenient. Liked having a second living area right inside the front door- this is where we put down all our stuff when we cam back in from the parks, etc. and I read in there. Things we did not like: TV in daughter's room was NOT cable, it had only 11 channels whereas the others had about 100. She felt slighted and I notified the owners that they should not advertise cable in all bedrooms. We would not rent this house again unless they make good on that offering. And the house had no DVD, only video player. We had to bring our own DVD player- we brought out PS2 which doubles as a DVD player. And the lamps were poor, cheap short ones, hard to read by.
    We got the pool heat and couldn't have swum without it. I wonder if you can even swim in Dec.- Feb. even with heat?
    LOVED the neighborhood! Greater Groves is way out west, at least by standards of the villas around Splendid China area (we drove through all of those and also ones around Poinciana). But the location is very quiet and peaceful, and the lots are larger than many other areas, combined w/the privacy paltings and trees we had total privacy and QUIET. One morning I was in the pool, it was totally quiet, not a sound, and all of a sudden there were 12 hot air balloons that went right over out pool at about 75 ft. up- it was just amazing. We didn't use the community tennis or baskeball, although my son is a baseball pitcher and he and his Dad pitched and caught in the street in front of the house for a half hour every day. We couldn't have done that in the more crowded and congested neighborhoods. Most owners live in their homes full-time in Greater Groves, which we liked, rather than everyone being renters and coming and going alot.
    We stayed at the house 3 1/2 days out of the 7, playing by and in the pool (for 3 days we never even went anywhere). Sunday night reservations at Emeril's Tchoup Chop at Royal Pacific Hotel at Universal. Long drive, but I wanted to go as we had such a great meal at Emeril's at City Walk last year. Tchoup Chop had nice atmsophere and great service, but food was not as good as it could/should have been for the price (yes, hold onto your wallet- w/tip it was $250 for 3 adult meals and one kid, w/a bottle of $48 wine and one dessert, two appetizers. Food was uneven and my son's dish was just plain werid- it is the signature dish, a Hawaiian Pork recipe, but it looked like a plate of fried noodles, and we could barely find the pork. My grouper was just plain, and my husband's grouper had a nice presentation in a bamboo basket but was also nothing to rave about. The best meal was my daughter's $16 kids meal w/a small filet. Dessert was a cold cake, like out of the ice box cold. And it was my birthday meal- my husband had called earlier and told them and they did nothing for it. Won't go back there.
    Went to Animal Kingdom for first time on Monday and really liked it. 15 min. door to door using the shortcut on this site. Got there at 9 a.m, went straight to Safari and were in line 40 min. but wante

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks for the detailed trip reportI am delighted that you enjoyed your first villa experience and have decided to do it all again
    Ruth

Eileen,
    great report; very useful to first timers and more experienced visitors alike i'm sure. Very good of you to take the time and trouble.
    All of us british owners will love hearing an americans positive views of staying in a villa.

We are spending 2 or 3 days in Orlando in december so hopefully the pools will be warm [:0]
    regards
    andrew
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    Oh yeah- I forgot- we went straight to the Sat. night car show in Old Town Kiss. after checking into the house on Sat. evening. Family moaned "why do we have to go out right away?" but LOVED it when we got there. Only thing is the open drinking- it is sort of like Bourbon Street in New Orleans there, alot of people walking around drinking and they sell beers at the convenience store right there in the Old Town walking area, and have drinks to go at take out windows, and htat was bothersome. But we avoided it as best as possible w/the kids. Car parade was just great, never would have known about it without people on here.
    I met alot of British people in lines at rides and food kiosks who were also staying in villas and told them about this forum; I told many Americans also. None of the Americans I talked to in Orlando had any idea you could rent a house, and several wrote down the 3 villa rental forums from here that I gave them as well as this forum.
    Sorry about all the typos in original report- I am havinfg "seasonal affective disorder", going from Florida sunshine to Washington D.C. rain and bone chilling cold...

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks for helping to spread the word
    Ruth

Florida Expert
    What a great detailed report. Made me feel like I was there! Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.
    Shirley

http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1428.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Great report, very informative. About the pool temperature, we stayed at our villa last August (no pool heat) and December (with pool heat). Our boys said it was much nicer in December with the pool heat, so we think those who say they have the pool heating no matter what time of year they go are probably right.[msnsmile2]
    Sarah

Florida Chatterbox
    I can't believe that you fitted that much in your trip.

I bet you were really bushed every day and glad to return to a pool to relax by.

I have E-Mailed you the Short cut to I4.

Carol

Florida Chatterbox
    Actually we relaxed and didn't even leave the house for 3 1/2 of the days- LOVED THAT POOL. And on Friday we only went out to play golf/horse ride in afternoon. I think it is the level of detail I did on the activities that makes it sound like alot. But you know, thos edays at the park are full ones. I am looking forward to 10 days in Dec., and only plan to go out for like 5 of them- I WILL get a book read on that trip!!!

and langley, your house pics are in the mail- I sent them preferred mail today so they should be there in 4 days or less.