Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lost luggage

Florida Savvy
    Heathrow is usually where my bag goes missing I have lost it 3 times there when travelling on business. But my luggage nightmare courtesy of MyTravel was on a flight from Manchester to Fuerteventura.

We checked in 3 hours before the flight and got a very raw recruit on check-in who couldn't find our names on the flight. After asking how long we had made the holiday booking (3 months) he somehow got us seats including a seat for our infant son who was supposedly travelling on our laps. We thought he was doing us a favour [msnoo] so we hand over all our luggage except for our large Wal-Mart special which has to go in the oversized baggage check. I then realise just as I am checking this last bag in that the tag he has put on it says Airport Code CTA not FUE. I return to the desk and he admits he's put us on the wrong flight [msneek]. He hadn't cleared his screen from the passengers before us who were going to Catania, Sicily (hence CTA).

He corrects his mistake and we are left with one case correctly labled for FUE and all the rest incorrectly labelled and now in the baggage system. I told him I wasn't moving from Check-In until I saw my bags all correctly labelled but he told me thay now had to be relabelled in the baggage hall by the baggage staff after a long argument and many reassurring words from him and his supervisor about bags cannot travel without passengers blah blah blah.. we decide we will have to accept it and go to board the plane.

Needless to say arrive in FUE and no bags except the Wal-Mart special. Luckily this has some clothes for all of us (Julie R we pack like you do!) but we are not all that smart. So, no evening clothes for us, no beach gear for son, no beach shelter, no toys or books (except the hand luggage ones) no sun-tan cream, no nappies etc. etc. After many false dawns the lost luggage made the journey from Sicily to Fuerteventura in 8 days[msnmad]

I had my revenge though, after 4 months complaining to MyTravel (an even longer story) who just told me to claim from my insurance. I finally got £350 in compensation and they then sent me a further £150 off voucher for our next holiday as we only paid £690 for all 3 of us in the first place I guess this was more than a fair result.

But the moral of the story is - if it is a any destination type check-in for your next flight make sure you know the 3 letter code for your destination and check the tags match when they are applied.

Good luck

Mr E.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I now always take just hand luggage if on business for a week. The only time I have had a problem is if the plane is one of the smaller variety, then you generally have to leave the case at the bottom of the stairs, or at the door, and the items get placed in the hold, and are returned at the other end at the door again. The case I use is okay to fit into the checking device at check-in, but more often now I use the electronic chcek facilty, so you don't actually see a member of airline staff until you go to the gate.
    Sarah

Florida Chatterbox
    I tend to put a few of everyones clothes in each suit case in case of loss or delay and that way i figure we are able to cope if something does happen to the case. I like to be first at the conveyor belt when the cases start to appear as i always look on the dark side and have visions of someone going off with my suitcase by mistake or on the even darker side it being stolen.

tracey

Florida Expert
    I left a bag on the plane once. She found me at customs!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
    I left a bag on the plane once. She found me at customs!!
    [/quote]

[msnwink]

Paul

Florida Expert
    I hope Pamela is not reading this thread or you are for it George.
    Rose

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2098.aspx

Florida Savvy
    Nice one George,
    My sort of humour ! but don't tell the wife.
    Barry

Florida Junior
    North West lost 1 of our 5 bags on a ski trip to Breckinridge. We flew from Edinburgh via Amsterdam and Detroit to Denver. When we arrived at Detriot we were told before we got off the plane that one of our bags was still in Amsterdam. As you'd expect it was the bag with the ski boots, gloves, salopets etc. The North West agent dealing with us asked "You have all that in one bag?, what's in the other bags?" Anyway to cut a long story short we were able to hire some stuff for our first day skiing and they paid for everthing we hired, and paid half of everything we bought, plus we were able to claim up to £100 each on our insurance. Plus the missing bag was delivered on our 2nd day.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Luckily we have never lost any luggage, but there is always a first time, as above we tend
    to split the clothes etc in the suitcases in case we do lose one
    Chrisj

Gold 5 Star Member
    So far we have been lucky with luggage (a couple of times ours have been the last ones off the plane though) - I am always worried that we will have a missing case, but it is a great start to the holiday when all the bags come through in one piece. (little things ....!)
    Lesley