Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you use debit cards in the states?

Florida Newbie

can you use debit cards in the states?

sounds stupied
    but

Gold 5 Star Member
    You know, I cannot remember if I have ever tried, but I am sure that I must have done. I have a 'Delta' card which is also a VISA card and so one should be able to use such cards in the US. I don't know about 'Switch' though.
    Nostromo

We have used out TSB debit card in Orlando to pay for goods without any problems, we also used it on a cruise ship from the Bahamas. It came out of our account quicker than it does in England. [msnwink]
    Lesley

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by edmond
    sounds stupied
    but
    [/quote]

We use ours with visa/debit but be warned if you try to use it for anything over £1200-£1500 they block it because of fraud.

It is worth while telephoning your bank and giving them the dates you are away and telling them how much you want to be able to spend on it.

My husband was in Chicago on business and needed to purchase a new lap top urgently and had problems hence we learnt the hard way!

Julie R

Florida Chatterbox
    Visa debit is ok, Switch you may have problems with.
    Matt
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1561.aspx

Florida Newbie
    Hi all,

Switch cards usually have the maestro logo which is used to take out cash and make purchases when abroad; and is part of the Mastercard group. For more info visit the switch website.

Craig

http://www.switch.co.uk/cardholders/abroad.asp

Gold 5 Star Member
    The best debit card is the nationwide, they dont charge commission on anything you buy, and if
    you use the ATM's they dont charge for that either
    Chrisj

Sure can, but as we are with Lloyds, it is better for us to use our credit cards and then pay them off immediately we come back home.
    Fiona

Florida Expert
    I have used my Switch card im the ATMs and in some of the larger stores at the tills.

Eagle Pointe, Florida, & Swanland, East Yorkshire
    I have also used my switch card at ATM's. I usually transfer some holiday funds into both my wife's and my accounts (in case we lose a card), prior to leaving the UK. We just draw out amounts as required throughout the holiday. There are loads of ATM's, around the 192, and even in the "Parks". Commision varies with Banks, but I have found this to be the most convenient way to obtain holiday money. This was prior to our home purchase in Florida, we now have a US Bank account so will probably use that from now on.
    I haven't tried to use switch for retail.
    Graham