Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: alligators, bears and panthers

Florida Chatterbox

alligators, bears and panthers

Having just looked up florida wildlife on the internet I am now scaring myself silly about holidaying in Florida.
    How many of you have ever come across an alligator, bear, panther, snakes, deadly spiders??????
    Are you more likely to find them in villas near lakes, swamps etc???
    Last time we holidayed as a family there we went to east coast and kids swam in sea- the next day a young boy paddling in the same beach area was attcked by a shark.
    will someone reassure me?????

Gold 5 Star Member
    There's a whole heap of info about Florida wildlife here http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida_guide/wildlife.asp

Well, you'd have to be really lucky to see a bear as there aren't very many of these.

Florida panthers usually live in the Everglades and very rarely come further north.

Snakes are around (as they are in the UK) but we've never seen one in 10 years of frequently visiting Florida (except in the Serpentarium!).

There are Black Widow spiders but I've never seen one of those either.

There are alligators almost everywhere there is water in Florida. Normally, they don't bother you if you don't bother them and it's illegal to feed them (as with many other Florida wildlife). Just keep a respectful distance and remember they can run fast. The ones you may see around home communities are normally quite small and are removed once they start getting bigger.

Seeing different wildlife is what makes a holiday in a foreign country different from going to somewhere like Blackpool for instance. Respect the wildlife, keep your distance, don't feed anything and it will respect you.

There are wonderful bird spotting opportunities, fantastic butterfies and a whole host of other unusual and interesting things to see if you keep your eyes open.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have been to Florida so many times that I have now lost count[:I]the only wildlife mentioned above that we have seen are small alligators and these have been in the water and we looked at them from a distance. We have never seen a snake or a large spider.

We have seen plenty of other wildlife which was fantastic, racoons, armadillos, birds of prey, lizards and best of all wild dolphins
    Ruth

Gold 5 Star Member
    Alligators yes. You see them, there are millions here. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. Most are small, three or four foot. You see the odd big one. Just steer clear. Feeding them iks the big no no and what gets people into trouble.
    Panthers or bears. You would be very very lucky if you saw one. I live here and would love to see either. They are rare and keep themselves to themselves. They live mostly within conservation. The only time you may see a bear is just before the hibernate when they come out looking for food to fatten up. If you lived on the edge of a state park, then you may see one. If you are lucky!! They are quite small and not like grizzley bears.
    You see the odd snake if you live here. Most of them here are not poisonous. Again, leave them alone. I doubt you would see one on a two week holiday. Deadly spiders. No, never seen one!
    You also see lots of armadillos and raccoons and beautiful tropical birds. But a lot of people will come here for two weeks and never see anything. It depends where you are, whether you are in I-Drive or out in the country.
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    Alligators yes. You see them, there are millions here. You leave them alone, they leave you alone. Most are small, three or four foot. You see the odd big one. Just steer clear. Feeding them iks the big no no and what gets people into trouble.
    Panthers or bears. You would be very very lucky if you saw one. I live here and would love to see either. They are rare and keep themselves to themselves. They live mostly within conservation. The only time you may see a bear is just before the hibernate when they come out looking for food to fatten up. If you lived on the edge of a state park, then you may see one. If you are lucky!! They are quite small and not like grizzley bears.
    You see the odd snake if you live here. Most of them here are not poisonous. Again, leave them alone. I doubt you would see one on a two week holiday. Deadly spiders. No, never seen one!
    You also see lots of armadillos and raccoons and beautiful tropical birds. But a lot of people will come here for two weeks and never see anything. It depends where you are, whether you are in I-Drive or out in the country.
    [/quote]

We saw a dead bear on the side of the road we thought it was an old carpet..until we saw it in daylight......we only saw snakes around where you live Julie......hehehehehehe.....

Most of the people who get to see a lot of snakes and stuff are the locals who move in when very few homes are finished and the ground is still being cleared.....my neigbours had trouble with bears for a while......and snakes....but that stop a year or so ago.....

Gold 5 Star Member
    Yes unfortunately you do see a lot of roadkill. We saw a deer on the entrance to Celebration ( as you leave 1-4) the other day. Such a shame. And loads of raccoons. It would be horrible to see a bear. So be careful when driving at night through forested areas.
    If you do see a snake or anything like that in or near a villa, dont try and tackle it, call the villa management company. Terry will love me for saying that!!!! He has a big stick at the ready
    Julie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by esprit
    Yes unfortunately you do see a lot of roadkill. We saw a deer on the entrance to Celebration ( as you leave 1-4) the other day. Such a shame. And loads of raccoons. It would be horrible to see a bear. So be careful when driving at night through forested areas.
    If you do see a snake or anything like that in or near a villa, dont try and tackle it, call the villa management company. Terry will love me for saying that!!!! He has a big stick at the ready
    [/quote]

A deer would wreck your hire car if you hit it......

So much building is going on the snakes get up and move.....they don't like the feel of all the heavy machine moving over the ground......and one of the joys of living with near neigbours is the fact you'll see less of them then if you have lots of garden around you.......

Also people renting should remember to keep the garage doors closed....and the door from the garage closed....if a snakes going to get in......that will be his route.....most of the time......

Florida Newbie
    Hi, we have always enjoyed looking at the florida wildlife from a distance! We have seen armadillos, lots of alligators and a few snakes but no spiders yet. We have usually seen these from the car though and it has always kept us entertained on long journeys. Im not sure i would be keen on seeing an alligator near the villa!! This holiday we are staying in a villa on a new development which has a conservation area, im now a little concerned that there may be a snake or alligator near the villa. I have watched too many programs where gators are rescued from back yards and pool areas i think... Im sure it will be fine though and they will keep their distance from us as we will them!
    [8)]

My sister had a tarantula drop onto her windscreen whilst she was driving around kissemmee, she cooly switched on the wipers and knocked it off. The scary thing is, she was driving a convertible with the top down [msneek]

dave

Gold 5 Star Member
    There was an aligator in the lake behind the Villa that we stayed in last year, we went near
    to have a look, but far enough away for safety

When we stayed on the Gulf coast we had some of those Pelican thingies dive bomb us on the
    beach once

In Canada when I stayed with some Family, they had bears and everything that would just appear
    which being a townie scared the ***** out of me, but they were used to it and laughed at me
    when I used to open the front door and run like a madmen to the car
    Chrisj