Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: alligators, bears and panthers

Florida Chatterbox
    When my husband and I were in Florida about 5 years ago we were out walking and there were lots of trees and shrubs around and we were literally surrounded by about a dozen spiders in their webs - they were the size of your hand (I'm not joking!). They were very colourful, orange, black and white but I wouldn't want one of them one me!

LAST YEAR WHILST DRIVING ALONG CANADA DRIVE(JUST OFF I DRIVE) A HUGE TORTOISE WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR, MY HUSBAND STOPPED AND PICKED IT UP AND PLACED IT IN THE GRASS, HE SAID IT MUST HAVE WEIGHED 20 POUNDS[:0]THINGS LIKE THIS REALY MAKE A HOLIDAY AS DOES SEEING MANATEES SWIMING FREELY AROUND THE COAST, IF YOU PAT YOUR HAND ON THE WATER THEY WILL SWIM OVER TO INVESTIGATE[msnsmile2]SUCH BIG GENTLE CREATURES, SHARKS ON THE OTHER HAND, PAUL HAS CAUGHT SEVERAL WHILST FISHING OFF NEW SMYRNA BEACH WHICH IS ON THE ATLANTIC COAST BETWEEN COCOA BEACH AND DAYTONA,NEW SMYRNA HAS IN THE PAST FORTNIGHT HAD 9 SHARK ATTACKS BRINGING THE TOTAL THIS YEAR TO 18 MAKING IT THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD, THE TOTAL WORLDWIDE BEING 35[:0][:0]IN SAYING THAT SHARKS ARE ABUNDANT OFF THE UK, AND HOW MANY SHARK ATTACKS DO WE HAVE? WILDLIFE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE IF YOU LEAVE IT ALONE,JUST ENJOY THE PLEASURE IN ACTUALY SEEING IT AS INTENDED [msnsmile2]NOT CAGED[msnsad][msnsad]

LORRAINE

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by anna maria freak
    LAST YEAR WHILST DRIVING ALONG CANADA DRIVE(JUST OFF I DRIVE) A HUGE TORTOISE WALKED OUT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR, MY HUSBAND STOPPED AND PICKED IT UP AND PLACED IT IN THE GRASS, HE SAID IT MUST HAVE WEIGHED 20 POUNDS[:0]THINGS LIKE THIS REALY MAKE A HOLIDAY AS DOES SEEING MANATEES SWIMING FREELY AROUND THE COAST, IF YOU PAT YOUR HAND ON THE WATER THEY WILL SWIM OVER TO INVESTIGATE[msnsmile2]SUCH BIG GENTLE CREATURES, SHARKS ON THE OTHER HAND, PAUL HAS CAUGHT SEVERAL WHILST FISHING OFF NEW SMYRNA BEACH WHICH IS ON THE ATLANTIC COAST BETWEEN COCOA BEACH AND DAYTONA,NEW SMYRNA HAS IN THE PAST FORTNIGHT HAD 9 SHARK ATTACKS BRINGING THE TOTAL THIS YEAR TO 18 MAKING IT THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD, THE TOTAL WORLDWIDE BEING 35[:0][:0]IN SAYING THAT SHARKS ARE ABUNDANT OFF THE UK, AND HOW MANY SHARK ATTACKS DO WE HAVE? WILDLIFE NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE IF YOU LEAVE IT ALONE,JUST ENJOY THE PLEASURE IN ACTUALY SEEING IT AS INTENDED [msnsmile2]NOT CAGED[msnsad][msnsad]

LORRAINE
    [/quote]

I'd make sure that kids don't touch any tortoises..turtles..etc....they carry food poisioning bugs......if anyone has to move one..don't use your bare hands...make sure you wash your hands really well after or just go around it leaving well alone...they have a very nasty bite and some can reach right around their shell..............the same goes for areas around dustbins......raccoons carry a lot of illness...if your bin is knocked over by one use gloves and lots of bleach....and watch out for ticks.....

We once saw a large black snake in typoon lagoon, an american woman drew our attention to it by shouting "Honey don't torment the snake" to her young son who was chasing it through a flower bed, I really don't like snakes and was a little concerned.... OK I was terrified... but fortunately so was the snake and it disappeared into the undergrowth. A disney worker assured me that it was completely harmless, but I still kept one eye open while sunbathing. The only other wildlife we saw in the park that day were lots of rabbits in and around the lanscaped areas and the lizards of course both of which I thought were cute. We've also seen the odd small alligator in the lake at Celebration and lots of turtles.
    I saw a programme on the T.V about brown recluse spiders which worried me as apparently you can find them in Florida.... I don't like spiders either... so the first thing I buy in Publix is a large can of ant and roach killer to spray around all the doors of the villa, I don't know if this would work on spiders but I feel better knowing I've got it to hand!!
    Julie

On our last visit to our villa we made quite a few trips to the garden centers to get plants and shrubs for our garden.

We had quite a big hire vehicle and Paul crammed in as many plants and things poosible.

On the way home, I was sat in the back with our youngest son when I heard some "rustling"[msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek][msneek]
    I told Paul to stop the car and went to search the plants!!!

We had a baby snake in amongst the plants!!!![msnoo]

Anyway we evicted it very carefully. So just be aware if anyone's purchasing plants/shrubs....check them before you put them in your car.
    Thankfully "our snake" was harmless[msnsmile2]

There was also lots of little spiders (which I hate) crawling around the car[msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry]

Next time I'm having them delivered.
    Sharon

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi

What is the likelihood of snakes:

1. Getting the pool area?

2. Getting into the villa?

Am I at higher risk in Crescent Lakes than say Formosa Gardens?

Cheers

Snakeaphobic Nigel

Nigel,

Really, don't worry about it. Again, I've been going to Florida for twenty odd years and I saw a small snake once, that was on Siesta Key on the Gulf coast and as soon as he was aware we were close by, he was gone in a flash. The likelyhood of you coming into contact with one is very remote.

I can agree with the tortoise/turtle thing. I've caught turtles fishing and their bite is ferocious, their necks extend much further than you'd imagine so don't go anywhere near one.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
    Hi

Cheers

Nigel (Snakeaphobic)
    [/quote]

Just keep the front door closed along with the garage door...everywhere else has a screen...it would be hard for a snake to get in if the screen is fitted right....
    I would check the water before letting kids jump in.....but its really not that common to find any thing in the screened in area...

Florida Chatterbox
    Plenty of critters in this film coming out soon, cant wait it looks so funny!

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/o/Over-Th...dex-50036.html

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
    Hi

Cheers

Snakeaphobic Nigel
    [/quote]

I agree with the above Nigel - don't worry. You are not likely to see a snake. Yes - they are around but modern villas are designed to keep them out.