Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Best Guide Books?

Florida Newbie

Best Guide Books?

Hi,

Can anybody recommend any good Orlando guide books?

I have Brits Guide books (various years), Top 10 Orlando, Frommers Walt Disney World & Orlando and have had Fodors guide in past.

I have also just ordered Universal Orlando 2004, Hassle Free Walt Disney World Vacation and The Other Orlando. Has anybody read these and how do you rate them?

Also, recommendations for good maps would be appreciated.

I'm not obsessed, honest!!!

[:I][:I][:I]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Ive read a few guide books and a few books on tips on the parks etc, but to be honest
    in my opinion, a site like this beats them hands down, Here you can ask the people who
    know how it is now, know the quickets routes to the parks, know what to do to make
    the park visits good, cos they are doing it themselves

I would read up on Orlando, but for specifics, I would ask the regulars here as they have
    current first hand knowledge and experience of it how it is now

Hope this helps
    Chrisj

Hi Tracy,
    we have found " the unofficial guide to walt disney world" by bob sehlinger very very useful. the touring plans may seem a bit regimented but do seem to work and the food recommendations have always turned out spot on; my dad is fussy when it comes to eating out and also a diabetic but no comments from him on the places we ate in disney as recommended in the book. all i can say is that was a first not to have a minor gripe from him and we ate there 4 or 5 times in the parks
    regards
    andrew
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

Florida Chatterbox
    The unofficial guide is very very good and also Disney 2004 by Birnbaum's is a good source. I'm not particularly crazy about the Frommer's or Fodor's versions. Birnbaum's have easy to read, colorful Disney maps. I also know a good online source regarding the Orlando area, they send you two road maps if you sign up for info. Send me a PM if you want it.
    Anderson, Amirah & Andrea Amarante

Gold 5 Star Member
    I browsed several guides, but for Brits, by far the best is Simon Vennes' "A Brit's Guide to Orlando & Walt Disney World". There is a 2004 edition, I believe. Apart from the easy-to-read contents, his frequent 'Brit Tips' are extremely useful. Also, he has covered most of the smaller attractions, nightlife, restaurants, shopping etc. He also gives useful phone numbers and links.
    Nostromo

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for replies so far.

Florida Chatterbox
    There is a Brits Guide 2004 out now and it's definitely one of the best we've found (that and the Top 10 Orlando).

As for maps, the best one we've found is the Rand McNally Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista Easyfinder. It's a very detailed plastic map, so it doesn't tear and you can write on it if you want. The downside is it doesn't include the whole area (only from Celebration to Buenaventura Lakes and north just beyond SeaWorld), but it's great if you're staying in a sub-division covered by it.
    Gillian

Florida Expert
    I agree with Nostromo. Simon Veness's Brit Guide is excellent. It is very detailed. I used it the first time I went out there and everything he said was true. But that was before I discovered this site and I couldn't believe the amount of detailed honest information on here based on members' years of experience in Orlando. Hope this helps.

Adeline

Florida Newbie
    Ive just received Simon Veness brits guide to orlando 2004 which i ordered over the internet, I found out about the book from the sight and as a complete first timer to florida im trying to get as much info as poss. This book is brill ive even now sent another copy to my brother who will be going to florida next year too. Its definately worth the money.[msnsmile2]