All,

My brother had a real nightmare on his last trip to Orlando.

He hired a van with Alamo and was pulling out on to the US27, when a lady ran a red light and smashed into them. He was in the middle of a group of cars pulling out on a green light, so no doubt that she was at fault. The other diver got out of the car and was absolutely fine, as were her kids. As the cars were stuck in the road, the police was called. While waiting for the Police, the woman crossed the US 27 and went to speak to a another lady that was walking along. My brother, being in holiday mode, did not think anything of it.

Roll forward 6 months and a man knocks on his door in the UK and serves him court papers for the accident...In a panic, he calls the Alamo to see what the hell is going on. It turns out they already knew about it and were already on the case. The other driver was now claiming that she and both kids had required hospital treatment and that she had a witness to the whole thing (remember the lady walking along the US27 well after the incident...). She was claiming for damages of in excess of $1m. Even thought he had taken out all possible insurance, he only had $1m of cover....

In short, the judge eventually agreed damages of $300k, which was a huge relief, but my brother spent several months thinking he might need to cough-up a large amount of money.

The moral of this story is to not let your guard down when you are out there and make sure you have adequate insurance.

All the best,
Rog