Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Can I take UK child car seat to Florida?

Florida Expert

Can I take UK child car seat to Florida?

We are taking my 6 month old Grandson to Florida in May. My daughter has just read that UK car seats are not approved for use in the USA.
    Is this correct and therefore we need to hire one (we already need one for the 4 year old) or can we take our own one?

Thanks
    Chris

Administrator
    The car rental companies are fine with this, and from a safety point of view as long as it's an ISO standard fitting (I'm sure they all are now) then it will be fine. Where there is more of a gray area is the law says all seats must be federally approved. It's not likely to ever be an issue, but for peace of mind, in the event of an accident and insurance claim, it might be worth getting the make and model of the car seat and finding out if it's also sold and Federally approved in the USA.

Florida Expert
    What do you mean by ISO standard fitting?
    Because it is a baby car seat it is fixed in rear facing using the car seat belt, not an isofix system.

Administrator
    The ISO fix is the little clip devices that go in to the metal hoops on the back seats. You don't have to use them, but I was just meaning they would work if the child seat has the ISO fix seat belts. You can still use the regular car seat belt wrapped through like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    What do you mean by ISO standard fitting?
    Because it is a baby car seat it is fixed in rear facing using the car seat belt, not an isofix system.