Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Venerus v Avis

Florida Junior

Venerus v Avis

I'm sure I can't be the only person (now an ex-Owner) to have received a very small card today sent from Warminster PA concerning a possible lawsuit against Avis, Budget et.al.

The type is extremely small and of course in legal terms but it seems to relate the possibility of the car suppliers not acting correctly between June 2008 and January 2016.

Clare

Gold 5 Star Member
    I got it as well. Any advice? If you do nothing, you are apparently agreeing to be part of the class action! Just checked back and found that I rented a Budget car in January 2011.
    Last edited by chris c; 20-02-2021 at 15:42. Reason: Added information
    Christine

Florida Chatterbox
    Yes, I got the card too, seems the case has been going on for some time, looks like it might finally be going to court. Had a look at this websites FAQ's for some information:-
    http://www.avisbudgetfloridainsuranc...com/home/faqs/

Can't believe there will be much compensation after the lawyers have had their cut, even if Avis/Budget are found guilty, it must have been such a small amount they added to our bill for the extra insurance, that they didn't actually take out..!!

May as well just stay with the class action, rather than go to all the trouble of claiming as an individual if Avis/Budget do lose.

What do you think?
    Mike and Heather

Gold 5 Star Member
    I am just a bit concerned that if Budget/Avis win the case they will be awarded costs and that the claimants will be liable.
    Christine

Gold 5 Star Member
    Also got the card.

My initial reaction was that it was for those 'Fly Drive' packages where the insurance provided with the package was useless and at the Rental desk you had to pay more for the insurance than UK agents charged for the complete car/insurance package.

However that doesn't appear to be the case. Surely all car/ insurance booked in UK is rental 'pursuant to a prepaid voucher'?

I guess the only reason you would withdraw from the class action was if you wanted to pursue your own action. Given his recent success rate I am thinking of hiring Rudy Giuliani!

I got the postcard too. The only knowledge I have of Class Action Lawsuits is from reading John Grisham novels whilst lying by a pool.

Like Chris C has said, my initial thought was OK, but what if Avis win? Am I liable for costs? Any US lawyers know the answer to this?

I could dig out some John Grisham and look it up I suppose, but his lawyers normally win.
    Dave.

I have been involved with two USA based class action lawsuits. The company involved should make it clear who pays the legal fees. Typically they work on a 'no win no fee' basis, with the fees being covered by the losing party on top of any compensation. This is how it was for both of mine.
    The first one I signed up for was for a visa service website that was dishonest. I have written my $250 off. Months after signing up for the CA suit I received a check for $350. The second was against an airline and I received a check for just under $700 around 2 years after opting in. Still have no idea what is was for. Obviously there are many scams around so check it is legit. You should never have to pay any money towards a CA suit.