Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing terminals LHR

Changing terminals LHR

Advice please!

I am wanting to fly With Virgin from LHR to Miami on a 11 am flight - next April. BUT I need to shuttle down from Manchester. BA do a shuttle that will get into LHR at 8.10 am. So my questions are, if I fly down business class to save waiting time, is 2 hours 50 mins long enough to get ofF the BA flight, collect luggage, change terminals and luggage drop for the Virgin Flight and clear security?

Ive tried to get both flights on one ticket but have been told by Virgin that they can’t do this.

I am thinking that the recommendation of arriving at the airport 2 hours before the flight isn’t mandatory and the check in desk doesn’t normally close until 1 hour before take off (I will check in on line so only need to bag drop).

any comments / suggestions appreciated, Katie’s Grandad - I need you !
    Diane.

Florida Chatterbox
    I've done that route twice but used BA for both legs on one ticket so didn't have to collect luggage. Why do you want Virgin for the 2nd leg?

Florida Chatterbox
    Other option could you not do the Manchester flight the day before and stay at the premier in overnight

Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    I've done that route twice but used BA for both legs on one ticket so didn't have to collect luggage. Why do you want Virgin for the 2nd leg?
    Because I’m using air miles to upgrade to PE.
    Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    Other option could you not do the Manchester flight the day before and stay at the premier in overnight
    Not an option as we will be working up to 9pm the night before.
    Diane.

Florida Savvy
    Could be a bit risky. Airports are all quiet at the moment but who's to say what the situation will be next April? If Heathrow is back to anything near capacity then it could be tight if the BA flight is delayed for any reason - plus by then of course the recommended check in times, queues etc. may well be longer if they need to health check everyone passing through.

BA & Virgin don't like each other at the best of times so if you miss the connection because BA were running late I doubt you'll get too much sympathy from Virgin!
    Pete
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1593.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Diane

I'm flattered by your faith in me but I fear my response won't completely answer your question!

Firstly, on the question of the existing schedules I would say that you are taking a huge risk by what you're thinking of doing. It wouldn't take much of a delay on the BA domestic flight (and they are VERY common) for the whole thing to go pear-shaped. I'd also save the money on Business seats because while you might be able to exit the plane a few minutes before most of the other passenger, it won't make any difference at baggage claim. BA will tag your bag "priority" but, in my experience, in reality it means very little to the handlers.

I very much agree with Pete's wider point on the unceratinty of just what the situation will be so far ahead. For example, just this week AA have announced that they are moving terminals at LHR although they haven't said whether it will be permanent. It's a real mess and there is no certainty on anything at the moment.

I fully get why you are keen to grab the upgrade opportunity on Virgin but I don't see any easy solution to your conundrum if you can't leave home until late the night before. In the past I have driven down to Heathrow which is doable but the drive home after you arrive back from the US is no fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Hi Diane

I'm flattered by your faith in me but I fear my response won't completely answer your question!

Firstly, on the question of the existing schedules I would say that you are taking a huge risk by what you're thinking of doing. It wouldn't take much of a delay on the BA domestic flight (and they are VERY common) for the whole thing to go pear-shaped. I'd also save the money on Business seats because while you might be able to exit the plane a few minutes before most of the other passenger, it won't make any difference at baggage claim. BA will tag your bag "priority" but, in my experience, in reality it means very little to the handlers.

I very much agree with Pete's wider point on the unceratinty of just what the situation will be so far ahead. For example, just this week AA have announced that they are moving terminals at LHR although they haven't said whether it will be permanent. It's a real mess and there is no certainty on anything at the moment.

I fully get why you are keen to grab the upgrade opportunity on Virgin but I don't see any easy solution to your conundrum if you can't leave home until late the night before. In the past I have driven down to Heathrow which is doable but the drive home after you arrive back from the US is no fun at all.
    Thanks for this Phil, I knew you would of traveled that route before. We are flying back into Manchester, so only need the one way. If Phil can get away from work early, travelling the night before may be an option, but it isn’t something we can confirm until nearer the date, so we may then loose the possibility of getting on that flight-decisions, decisions.

on a personal note, hope your both well? Good to hear from you x
    Diane.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madabouttigger View Post

on a personal note, hope your both well? Good to hear from you x
    Both well thanks Diane. Not taking any risks with travelling just now but making lots of plans for when we feel safe to resume!

Quote Originally Posted by Madabouttigger View Post
    Not an option as we will be working up to 9pm the night before.
    I would seriously consider a taxi down after you finish work at 9pm. I’ve done what you are suggesting but from Leeds rather than Manchester and missed my flight because of BA delays out of Leeds. We got it all sorted in the end but it was a frantic and unpleasant couple of hours in Heathrow dashing between desks trying to get answers and a solution. Plus, because of the last minute rearrangements, our luggage disappeared and turned up in Orlando two or three days after we did.

Taxi or limo Manchester to Heathrow is probably about £200 and you will get in by 1am or thereabouts, but at least you will be in plenty of time for your flight, and a Premier Inn or similar will be available and relatively cheap.
    Last edited by Tonish; 26-07-2020 at 00:34. Reason: Grammar
    Tonish