Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Newark connection time

Newark connection time

I booked my son's flights some time ago Brussels/Newark/MCO, and since booking, the flight times have changed about 4 times. He is no down to 1hr 29mins for making his connection in Newark. Is this enough time, considering he will need to collect baggage and clear customs & immigration in Newark? The Brussels/Newark flight is operated by United, as is the Newark MCO leg.
    If not enough time, what can be done as he is on one of those economy saver tickets?
    Last edited by BIGEYE; 29-08-2019 at 16:23.

I Have done tighter turnarounds at Newark but that airport can get very busy. Did you book the flights as a whole? If so then the airline responsible for flight connection timings and you doing have to worry. If not you could lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGEYE View Post
    I booked my son's flights some time ago Brussels/Newark/MCO, and since booking, the flight times have changed about 4 times. He is no down to 1hr 29mins for making his connection in Newark. Is this enough time, considering he will need to collect baggage and clear customs & immigration in Newark? The Brussels/Newark flight is operated by United, as is the Newark MCO leg.
    If not enough time, what can be done as he is on one of those economy saver tickets?

Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    I Have done tighter turnarounds at Newark but that airport can get very busy. Did you book the flights as a whole? If so then the airline responsible for flight connection timings and you doing have to worry. If not you could lose out.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the flights were booked together, which puts my mind at ease.

Florida Chatterbox
    I've had similar in the past, if you phone United and explain the situation and they will confirm if they think the timings are ok. If not they will re-schedule for you no problem. Much better to sort in advance

Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    I've had similar in the past, if you phone United and explain the situation and they will confirm if they think the timings are ok. If not they will re-schedule for you no problem. Much better to sort in advance
    I took your advice and called United. They say there should be no problem in making the connection. Even if he did miss the connecting flight, there are another 3 flights leaving at hourly intervals that day, and they would put him on one of those.

It happened to us one time too, we were supposed to have an hour and a half change over but our flight from Amsterdam to Newark was delayed , they did hold the plane to MCO for us and a few others though.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Almost all airports have a defined "Minimum Connection Time" referred to as 'MCT" and I'm pretty sure the new timings are below it and that they would not have sold you the ticket in the first place had that been the situation at the time. However, as others have pointed out, it is still doable as long as there are no significant delays and in any case in these circumstances your son will have the fall back of later flights so there isn't really anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Almost all airports have a defined "Minimum Connection Time" referred to as 'MCT" and I'm pretty sure the new timings are below it and that they would not have sold you the ticket in the first place had that been the situation at the time. However, as others have pointed out, it is still doable as long as there are no significant delays and in any case in these circumstances your son will have the fall back of later flights so there isn't really anything to worry about.
    Thanks all. I'm much more at ease now. I have flown many, many times around the world, and enjoyed the experiences. Nowadays though, I find the travelling experience extremely stressful.