Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long rental 28 days plus - Florida

Florida Newbie

Long rental 28 days plus - Florida

I read in the terms and conditions of several of the agencies that if your rental is longer than 28/30 days you have to return to them and renew it. Does this actually happen?

No - we regularly stay for longer than 30 days and have never had to return and renew the car.
    Maureen Green

Iīm currently in the 2nd week of a 6 week rental with Alamo and donīt need to change the vehicle part way through the rental.
    Jim

Come the end of next year, when hopefully both retired, we plan to do a 3 month stay. What do people normally do for that length of time. I would think it is very expensive to rent a car for that length of time but can't see what other choice you would have.
    Angie & Davy

We sold our villa in Orlando last year and bought a condo down in Palm Beach just for our own use. We spend 5 months each year in Florida split between two trips, one in the autumn and the other in late winter spring. We looked at buying a car as we thought it would be cheaper but when you take everything into account we came to the conclusion there wasnīt much in it and are continuing to rent.
    Jim

We have been doing the same as you Jim and came to the same conclusion. Also I understand that if you rent a car you can drive on your UK licence but if you own and keep a car in Florida you need to have a Florida driving licence which has to be renewed every time you come back to Florida.
    Maureen Green

Am currently in Florida having arrived Sept. 7th...
    Rented for 35 days via Alamo whilst in UK.
    Airport desk Sanford were insistent that rental could be no longer than 30 days !!!
    Am having to visit local Alamo depot 7th October to "renew" contract 'till 12th....
    So I would say "yes" it does happen (maybe dependent on clerk @ desk at the time ???)
    Have never had to "renew" previous visits of 6 weeks +

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Green View Post
    We have been doing the same as you Jim and came to the same conclusion. Also I understand that if you rent a car you can drive on your UK licence but if you own and keep a car in Florida you need to have a Florida driving licence which has to be renewed every time you come back to Florida.
    Itīs reassuring that you came to the same conclusion Maureen.

We found a company that would provide car insurance through AAA allowing us to drive on our UK licence. However, the premiums were over $1,000 for 6 months. You could drop it down to basic cover when you are not in the US but we just couldnīt see any financial benefit in owning a car here. The only way it would work would be to buy something thatīs pretty cheap which we didnīt want.

Hiring is an additional expense that mounts up when you spend a lot of time in the US but we feel it is hassle free and convenient.
    Jim

Florida Savvy
    We spend almost 6 months on the Gulf Coast each winter and I have been around this question so many times as car hire is the biggest expense of the whole trip. I am still of the view that despite the cost, hiring a car is still the best option. It also allows us to chop and change cars depending on who is visiting etc.

We always chose Alamo as to date they have been good at just keeping the contract self renewing for however long we want.

NB you will sometimes see a different completion date on your contract but this is just there way of self renewing on a month by month basis.

7th.
    Soddit.............
    Went into Hilton Alamo on 192 to "renew" contract as insisted apon by clerk @ SFB....
    Total waste of time - guy looked at back of contract & said valid 'till 12th :-(
    Would now suggest a quick 'phone call would suffice (if even necessary ???)