Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Airlines

Florida Chatterbox

Multiple Airlines

I know this question might look simple but I have never booked a package using multiple airlines. This year we flew Manchester to Miami via Heathrow. All flights were with BA, next year it is looking cheaper if the return leg from Miami is with AA. I can book it all through AA website but does anyone know if I can select seats at booking for the AA flight . Also when coming back and checking in at Miami the flight has a BA flight number but is on an AA flight so which check in desk do I go to. Any other advice from someone who has done this route would be welcome.

Florida Chatterbox
    You can reserve your seats on the AA Web site when you book. Once you have your booking reference you can change your seats if you wish.

Florida Chatterbox
    So are you saying after I have booked my flights on BA website I can go onto AA website and choose my seats using my BA booking ref.?

If you book via AA, you will be able to reserve seats on AA flights only...
    If you book via BA, you will be able to reserve seats on BA flights only...
    You will NOT be able to reserve seats on 'codeshare' flights
    Your booking ref. will not be recognized by the alternate provider...
    P.S. If booked via AA use AA checkin - if booked via BA use BA checkin !!!
    Last edited by msmiff; 02-08-2018 at 11:53.

Florida Chatterbox
    That's more like I thought it would be, other than check in. I thought if I was an an AA flight I would check in at an AA desk, but the more I think about it, if I do the booking on BA website and check in online then it will be with BA. I just thought bag drop would be at AA.

BA Twitter have told me that if I book on BA I can choose seats for the BA flights and after booking I would be able to book seats with AA for their flight although she could not say how it was done

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msmiff View Post
    If you book via AA, you will be able to reserve seats on AA flights only...
    If you book via BA, you will be able to reserve seats on BA flights only...
    You will NOT be able to reserve seats on 'codeshare' flights
    Your booking ref. will not be recognized by the alternate provider...
    P.S. If booked via AA use AA checkin - if booked via BA use BA checkin !!!
    Sorry, but I beg to differ there.

If you book an itinerary on ba.com that includes AA flights then on booking the BA website automatically transfers you to aa.com to select seats on the AA operated flights. NB. AA do not charge for advance standard seat selection (Main Cabin Extra and exits require additional payment).

If you book on aa.com and the itinerary includes BA flights (note BA do charge for advance reservation on all seats) you just call AA and they will give you the BA reference so that you can at least see your reservation on ba.com and, if you so wish, pay for seat reservations. You most certainly can reserve seats on codeshares through the operating carrier.

Finally, with check in in person you always have to check in the operating carrier irrespective of who you booked with. There are many reasons for this, not least that BA and AA frequently operate from different terminals! Online check in is through the issuing carrier but bags must be dropped off with the operating carrier.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 02-08-2018 at 12:42.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thank you Katys Grandad, Your description of seat reservation matches what the Twitter lady said although she only thought there was a link from BA site to choose seats on AA and was not sure. Everything else seems entirely logical. If AA don't charge for seat selection then maybe I should be looking to them for all flights. However we would prefer to change at Heathrow rather than Philly then we don't have to collect cases between flights
    Last edited by vickk; 02-08-2018 at 13:34.

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    So are you saying after I have booked my flights on BA website I can go onto AA website and choose my seats using my BA booking ref.?
    Think your questions have been answered but I had thought you were booking your flights through AA on their web site hence my answer.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    However we would prefer to change at Heathrow rather than Philly then we don't have to collect cases between flights
    For me it’s a ‘swings and roundabouts’ situation there. BA to AA at Heathrow involves a change of terminal by bus and that route means Immigration and Customs has to be done in Miami which I don’t find much fun. With the Transatlantic from Manchester that is taken care of in Philadelphia so more or less straight out to baggage reclaim in Miami.

Just a Heads Up here, AA operate B777’s to Miami with a 3-4-3 configuration whereas the A330’s from Manchester are 2-4-2. Bit of an anorak point I know but my wife and I much prefer a seat pair to the almost inevitable sharing a 3 with a stranger so it’s usually the 330 for us unless we’re treating ourselves to a seat nearer the front.

Just to clarify - the switch from ba.com to aa.com happens when you opt to choose seats so I suppose it’s better described as semi-automatic really.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 02-08-2018 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    For me it’s a ‘swings and roundabouts’ situation there. BA to AA at Heathrow involves a change of terminal by bus and that route means Immigration and Customs has to be done in Miami which I don’t find much fun. With the Transatlantic from Manchester that is taken care of in Philadelphia so more or less straight out to baggage reclaim in Miami.

Just a Heads Up here, AA operate B777’s to Miami with a 3-4-3 configuration whereas the A330’s from Manchester are 2-4-2. Bit of an anorak point I know but my wife and I much prefer a seat pair to the almost inevitable sharing a 3 with a stranger so it’s usually the 330 for us unless we’re treating ourselves to a seat nearer the front.

Just to clarify - the switch from ba.com to aa.com happens when you opt to choose seats so I suppose it’s better described as semi-automatic really.
    I don't think that is an "anorak" point. We usually travel as a threesome with our autistic daughter and hate 2.4.2 for the same reason - we want to sit with her between us and not have a stranger next to us. Ok on a short flight but on long haul it can be a real pain if they want to tell you their life story while you are trying to watch a film.
    Gerry and Sue