Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: How much time do I really need for terminal transfer?

How much time do I really need for terminal transfer?

When I booked my flights with BA, I thought they would all leave from Terminal 5. Not so, it turns out. My inbound flight arrives at Terminal 5, and my connecting flight departs Terminal 3. Scheduled times leaves only 1hr 40mins to get between terminals. Question is this enough time, and realistically how much time do I really need for transfer?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Even though T5 is a relatively recent addition at Heathrow, it very soon became apparent that it couldn't handle every BA long haul route so a few go from T3. Is this to Miami?

The usual rule is that if they sell you the ticket then the itinerary is doable. Be sure to follow the signs to FLIGHT CONNECTIONS - OTHER TERMINALS when you leave your incoming flight.

I have made that connection quite a few times and it is a bit of a pain especially at busy times but I've never missed the flight although have had a few tight transfers when the incoming flight has been delayed (by no means unusual at Heathrow). You will be required to go through another security check at T3 so I would suggest being prepared for that.

The only plus for me (but not for my wife) is that there is almost never time to look around the shops in T3 before the flight.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 26-06-2018 at 02:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Even though T5 is a relatively recent addition at Heathrow, it very soon became apparent that it couldn't handle every BA long haul route so a few go from T3. Is this to Miami?

The usual rule is that if they sell you the ticket then the itinerary is doable. Be sure to follow the signs to FLIGHT CONNECTIONS - OTHER TERMINALS when you leave your incoming flight.

I have made that connection quite a few times and it is a bit of a pain especially at busy times but I've never missed the flight although have had a few tight transfers when the incoming flight has been delayed (by no means unusual at Heathrow). You will be required to go through another security check at T3 so I would suggest being prepared for that.

The only plus for me (but not for my wife) is that there is almost never time to look around the shops in T3 before the flight.
    Thanks, I feel a bit better now.

Florida Expert
    I'm doing exactly the same, Edinburgh to Heathrow T5 and then T3 for Heathrow to Miami.

I know a couple of people who've done it and said it's okay.

Florida Chatterbox
    We did this route in May from Manchester. If you search the BA website there is a section where you can put your flight codes in and it will print out a full step by step procedure you need to follow. The official guide said you need up to 90 mins at busy times but ours was no where near that.

Made it with plenty of time to spare. Thanks