Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Toll Road fees

Florida Chatterbox

Toll Road fees

Hi all
    I’m hoping someone can advise, as I’m a bit confused about the toll fees.

We have booked a car, through the link above and with Alamo.
    Driving, we are going from Orlando International to H27, so we are thinking 417 onto 192 to the H27 and return, where I know there are tolls. Could also be using the 4 (any tolls?).

I’ve read various things about SunPass/EPass, being charged a day rate by the rental company, paying in cash.

What do we need to do/pay for, or can we just use cash at the booths?

Thank you.
    Karen

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    The 417 goes onto the I4 the junction 55 to Highway 27, no need to use 192. All toll booths on the 417 have cash booths. I4 has no tolls. We never bother with the Sunpass thing as we dont use the toll roads enough. You wont be using them for the Theme parks if you are staying on H27
    Christine

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Hi Karen
    When we have used Alamo, they usually ask for your credit card number when you collect the rental car, then bill you at
    the end of your holiday, this means you just keep to the left hand lane of the toll booth, thus not having to keep slowing down at the
    ‘pay as you go’ toll booths.
    If you are not going to use the toll roads very often, then just use the ‘pay as you go’ using the right lane at the toll booth.
    Between Orlando international airport and the I -4, the toll road is around $10.00 in all ( or used to be ! )
    kr
    Tony

Gold 5 Star Member
    The various rental companies have differing rules but Alamo charges $3.95 per day (up to a maximum $19.75 per rental period) 'usage fee' on the days you actually incur a toll plus of course the toll charge. You will be billed on your credit card for whatever you incur during your stay a few weeks after you come home. If you don't use it at all then there is no fee. There is nothing to do at the desk as you automatically opt into the use of the system the first time you go through an automatic cashless toll barrier. As somebody has already said, if you don't want to opt in, use the cash lanes and pay each time.

I suppose it's ultimately a question of whether you want to pay for the slightly more convenient cash-free lanes or are OK with having to pay at the toll booth each time.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 23-04-2018 at 05:17.

The Alamo deal is a good one in that you only pay for the times you use it and it does make things a bit easier. We’re just back having rented with Dollar for two weeks and declined their sunpass option because it would cost way more than we would ever come close to spending on tolls. Cash seemed more sensible.

However we had problems twice with payment in cash. Both times the booths were unmanned and would only accept exact change. One didn’t register the coins properly and kept asking for more, regardless of how much we put in, so we gave up and drove on through. The second took us by surprise and we had no option but to drive through without paying as we couldn’t back up and didn’t have coins. So now we’re home we’re half expecting to be hit with a bill or a fine. Based on our experience, I would take the Alamo sunpass option every time.
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks to you all for the advice on the tolls and suggestions for the driving routes ��
    Karen

Florida Savvy
    If you want to use the cash lanes, at the first (manned) booth, pay with a note, no bigger than a $20, and ask for some quarters in your change , then you can use the quarters for the unmanned booth (75cents). During the holiday, save some quarters for the tolls on the way back to the airport. The tolls should be around $4 in total, each way.
    Scorpio

Just an update on this if anyone else has found themselves in the same position. We received a letter from Dollar yesterday stating that we owed 75 cents for the toll, which they have paid on our behalf, so they are deducting this from our credit card plus a $10 admin charge. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    Tonish

Florida Chatterbox
    I have a Sunpass account and have just received a charge on my credit card. It would seem my card has not been re-charged.
    I have been trying to log into the Sunpass web site but have been unable to.

Anyone else having problems with Sunpass?
    Elly

We are in Florida ATM and it is on the news. SunPass updated their site a couple of weeks ago and it was down for a week. Now lots of people are saying nothing is getting charged to their account. We are the same. We should have quite a few charges but when I log in it shows no activity even though I put our hire car details in the day before the site was due to go down for a week. We do have a healthy credit balance on our Sun pass account so that's not the problem and we also checked as we went through the tolls that it was picking up our transponder and we got the usual 'go SunPass' message. I am just hoping that the tolls don't get through to Dollar and we end up paying more than we need to. I know as it is a general problem ATM we could argue it but a lot of hassle for a few dollars.
    Gerry and Sue