Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suitcases

Suitcases

I’ve had my trusty Samson suitcases for over 12 years now,and it’s time to look at replacements. Can anyone please give recommendations on the best cases out there?
    Diane.

Florida Junior
    Look for a type that has 4 swivel wheels

Florida Chatterbox
    Quote Originally Posted by cork View Post
    Look for a type that has 4 swivel wheels
    Could not agree more.

We have Samsonite cases with the 4 swivel wheels and they are a dream to move about.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I honestly think that if you only travel occasionally then a cheap case from a supermarket or even a second hand quality brand on ebay will fit the bill for a few years and then is easily and inexpensively replaced. When I was travelling frequently I bought some very expensive suitcases of varying sizes which served me well and I still have most of them but I wouldn't dream of forking out the kind of sum they would cost to replace for my much less frequent travel now.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 05-04-2018 at 15:12.

Swivel wheels are one of the reasons I’m looking at changing. As I said before, I’ve had my cases over 12 years and taken them abroad every year, family have also borrowed them so my cases have officially traveled more than I have. A couple of years ago, when flying back PE we picked up a swivel case in Walmart, I have used it twice and it has sustained quite a bit of damage. So looking at the bigger picture it would be more economical to buy better as they last longer, I’m just wondering what brands are the most popular and withstand the battering inflicted by long haul flights.
    Diane.

Samsonite Paradiver.

We're quite hard on luggage and this one has been excellent. It's my regular travel bag. Got it two and a half years ago. For the first year it travelled on more than 100 flights with me. I'm now living in London during the week again and so for the past 18 months it has accompanied me weekly on the train and tube. It bumps up 50 stairs from the tube and trundles after me the half mile walk to my flat, up and down pavements, and still looks like new. It's seen its fair share of snow and rain.

It's waterproof with lots of pockets inside and out. The only damage is some wear on the handle. It's by far the best bag I've had and we have now bought a bigger one for our holiday trips. Picture attached - I think the new version looks a little different at the front
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails travel bag.jpg  
    Tonish

Thanks Peter, sounds good I’ll look them up.
    Diane.

Florida Expert
    We've got a pair of Samsonite cases that we bought in 1998.

The missus keeps wanting a new one just for the sake of it in my opinion as the Samsonite ones we have a re solid, much harder than the new type and as we now have teenagers cannot afford to away every year (or 2 or 3 times a year like we did pre kids or when they were infants) so don't really need to replace them.

They came with a 10 year guarantee and scrooge here reckons they'll last another 10 years yet!!

I know what you mean, ours have been really sturdy but the fasteners are beginning to go, so time for replacements.
    Diane.

Gold 5 Star Member
    My current suitcase is a Samsonite S'Cure Dlx Spinner.

I've had it now for two years and love it to bits.

It replaces my previous Samsonite canvas case (reason below) that I had for over a decade.

So here's why I like it.

1. The quality of the wheels and bearings are everything with these types of cses. I've seen so many people wrestling with cases around airports as soon as the terrain gets a tiny bit beyond billiard table smooth; and I always have a wry smile as I breeze past them.

2. I like that it seals around the edges. I gave up on zippers (and canvas) after it was left on the ramp at MCO for a thunderstorm which left everything (including a bunch of papers) inside completely soaked. Never again!!

3. It has bits that hold each side of stuff in place so it's not a chore to fold it over when packing.

4. The handle is really solid which makes it easy to drive.

5. And even when I have my laptop case attached to the handle it doesn't feel wobbly.

6. It's not heavy so doesn't eat into your weight allowance.

7. The lock is TSA compliant.

It's a great case.
    Steve