Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Position re car hire and valet parking

Position re car hire and valet parking

Hi Roger,

This question has come up many times and I thought I should ask you.
    What is the position re using valet parking at hotels with our hire car? I've often used the valet parking at Don Cesar and never gave it a second thought, but since I've seen the question coming up again on another forum thought it best to check before using the valet parking again.

Administrator
    I'm waiting on an official response to this, but if you are going strictly by the rules of the terms and conditions then you should not allow anyone else to drive the car whether they are insured or not. That would include valet drivers.

Once I hear back I'll post on here.

Thanks Roger...I've heard so many "opinions" on this I thought I'd get it from someone who knows how to get straight answers.

Cheers

Administrator
    Below is the official response direct from Dollar's legal team (Dollar is part of the Hertz group). I'll post Alamo's response when they get back to us, but I expect it will be the same. If you re-post this on the other forum, please ensure to say this came from Dollar via uscarhire.com and post a link to our site. All of our inclusive packages include LDW so valet parking is covered:

In North America, valet parking (operation of the vehicle by a parking valet) is an authorized use of the vehicle and not a violation of the Rental Agreement. If the renter has LDW, the renter would not be responsible for damage to the vehicle (as the valet is authorized under the Rental Agreement and therefore not a violation of the Rental Agreement).

If the renter does not have LDW, the renter remains responsible for all damage to the rental vehicle. If the damage was caused by a parking valet, although the renter remains responsible the valet’s employer would first be pursued by Hertz for collection of the damages to the rental vehicle by the valet for you.

Thanks Roger - information passed on and with uscarhire credited with obtaining the information and a link to the site included.

Cheers I will now look forward to valet parking at Don Cesar

Gold 5 Star Member
    Nice one Roger. And Carol for asking the question.

It's really good to see that the car hire companies have a policy for this. Top stuff!
    Steve

Steve, I had to ask as I've used it many times - being a disabled driver parking is never straightforward or easy, but I've always had a "niggling doubt" about the insurance position. Now at least we know the answer and I guess Alamo and all the others will have a similar position....and we'll know when Roger gets the Alamo response.

Administrator
    The response from Alamo is a bit more fuzzy, but here it is. As is typical of a lot of legal department wording, I expect this could be interpreted in a number of ways. From this, I think if a valet driver cause damage to the vehicle, then it would be better if they denied it. If the car is damaged while being parked in the valet parking lot then I'm sure it would be covered, since it was not being driven by the valet driver at the time.

To the extent we could prove the damage occurred while being driven by an unauthorized driver, then yes they would not be covered.

However, if the valet denies they caused the damage (and this is not declared) we would generally cover this as CDW is included in the customers rental which there is no excess for damage to the vehicle

Oh dear so would you say it would be best, with Alamo, to avoid the valet parking?

It would not stop me from using valet. They would never admit responsibility anyway. Once have valet parking for a a box van in Paris and it came back covered in denst on all 4 sides. Valet just shrugged his shoulders and said nothing to do with me. I had paid for CDW and no charge was made.

Quote Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
    Oh dear so would you say it would be best, with Alamo, to avoid the valet parking?