Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK Long Connection

Florida Chatterbox

JFK Long Connection

Hi All,

Hope you are all well, long time no contact but we are off again.

Just looking for some advice:

Looking to fly MAN-JFK-MIA both ways, the connection in New York is overnight and 22hrs so we want to leave the airport and take the kids to see NYC for a day.

Questions:

Anyone done this?
    Do you always need to collect bags upon landing at JFK
    Terminal in is 4, terminal out is 2, are these close if we need to re-check baggage or use the luggage store in T4?
    Any other advice??

We land at 16:30 and fly the next day at 14:40 so perfect opportunity (hopefully) to show the kids the sights.

Thanks in advance.
    Garry Pullan

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    You will need to collect luggage and clear immigration - cant help with the other questions
    Christine

We had two nights - so one full day in NY last November. We bought tickets for the open top bus in advance and its a great way to see as much as possible in a few hours. Also had tickets to go up Empire State and that was good. Look on line for advance tickets that cover both. We went on a Sunday so the traffic was quiet but we were warned that other days you can get stuck in traffic for hours so allow time to get back to airport or at least the nearest underground station. JFK is about 30min from Manhattan on the subway - E line i think..
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Assuming your flight arrives at JFK on time, at best it's going to be sometime around 6 o'clock when you are ready to leave the airport with your bags. Not a great time to be making your way downtown if you intend to overnight there. Even if you make it without a hitch, you will be more than ready for bed when you arrive at your accommodation. While there are several options for getting back to the airport the next day, none of them are particularly quick or convenient and I would advise leaving downtown at least 4 hours before your departure time so in your case around 10.40 am. That doesn't really give you much time to do anything worthwhile.

To be honest, with the prices of hotels in Manhattan and JFK these days and the transfer costs and inconvenience I'd be looking to find a better flight schedule which, even of the fare is higher, might be a cheaper option.

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks all. We booked

Arrive 4pm and storing our luggage at the airport. 30 min train into the city, great hotel in Times Square for less than £200 for the night (6 people).

Flight next day at 4pm so plenty of time to see some sights until it's time to get back to JFK for the luggage and onward flight.

Less time coming back but it is a Saturday so arrive at 9am and leave at 8pm so again, quick stop at Central Park etc... before back to the airport. Kids will love it. Won't have luggage to collect on the way back either so straight out of the terminal and into the city!

Thanks again.
    Garry Pullan

Use google to keep an eye on the traffic flow back to airport. That bridge can be a nightmare. Although the last year I was driving back and forwards over it for 2 days without any issues but I would keep an eye on it. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by gpullan View Post
    Thanks all. We booked

Arrive 4pm and storing our luggage at the airport. 30 min train into the city, great hotel in Times Square for less than £200 for the night (6 people).

Flight next day at 4pm so plenty of time to see some sights until it's time to get back to JFK for the luggage and onward flight.

Less time coming back but it is a Saturday so arrive at 9am and leave at 8pm so again, quick stop at Central Park etc... before back to the airport. Kids will love it. Won't have luggage to collect on the way back either so straight out of the terminal and into the city!

Thanks again.

Nice to see you back on the clock Garry. When are you going?
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    Use google to keep an eye on the traffic flow back to airport. That bridge can be a nightmare. Although the last year I was driving back and forwards over it for 2 days without any issues but I would keep an eye on it. Enjoy.
    We had a hotel near JFK and used the subway to get in and out of Manhattan, no traffic problems that way and the E line connects with the airport circuit.
    Gerry and Sue

yes sorry trains do not get stuck in traffic dohhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Reed View Post
    We had a hotel near JFK and used the subway to get in and out of Manhattan, no traffic problems that way and the E line connects with the airport circuit.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Just a final thought on your plan Garry.

As there's 6 of you, the 30 minute ride LIRR train fare will be over $120 return (cheaper at weekend with City ticket) so that is actually more than a pre-booked private car/van to take you door to door in both directions avoiding the need to get the Air-train to Jamaica station in each direction and then getting from Penn station to and from your hotel. If you wanted to, you could also avoid the cost and time of using the baggage store that way.

I used to travel to JFK regularly and used a long established and 100% reliable car service to and from Manhattan that I have recommended to several forum members in the past and always had positive feedback.

Just PM me if you want the details.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 26-01-2018 at 07:37.