Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: BA Manchester to Miami

Florida Chatterbox

BA Manchester to Miami

Hi All,
    We have just booked flights with BA from Manchester to Miami with a change at Heathrow. Has anyone done this route and can they advise on a couple of questions please.

In London either on the way out or the return leg will I have to collect the cases and re check them in or will they be transferred automatically to the final destination?

I think on both legs we have to transfer between terminals 3 & 5 at Heathrow, what does this involve?

Thanks in advance, any help or info will be helpful, we have never used BA before

Florida Junior
    I've flown with BA; Glasgow- New York via Heathrow and Glasgow- Orlando via Gatwick, a few times, and my cases have been put straight through.
    I've not switched terminals though.

Heathrow Express and the Undergound are both free allow about 20 minutes - the undergound is the quickest but only by a few minutes. Luggage always check at bag drop as wether it goes through to final destination or not. I have had different results on the same route.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    Heathrow Express and the Undergound are both free allow about 20 minutes - the undergound is the quickest but only by a few minutes. Luggage always check at bag drop as wether it goes through to final destination or not. I have had different results on the same route.
    I would strongly advise against using either the HEX or the Underground connections in these circumstances. Both would require going land-side so you would then be required to endure the whole security process all over again at T3.

The best and most favoured route is to disembark from your domestic flight and look out for the clear signs to Flight Connections and follow the route to the airside buses to the other terminals. There is a dedicated bus from T5 to T3. It can get busy and IME there is often a queue for the bus so you might not catch the first one although I have never missed my connection. You will have to go through the hand luggage scanner again when you get to T3 but it's usually no problem. Obviously, the routine is the same in reverse on your return. Your bags will be checked through in both directions.

One note of caution - BA's gates in T3 can be quite a walk from the terminal security entrance and the main shopping/restaurants so I would advise leaving plenty of time to walk through.

Really? I just cannot remember going through security twice but I have a FastPass form security and mostly travel alone, so never an issue. Different thing entirely when you have a family in tow. I am also one of those odd individuals that like a route with connecting flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    I would strongly advise against using either the HEX or the Underground connections in these circumstances. Both would require going land-side so you would then be required to endure the whole security process all over again at T3.

The best and most favoured route is to disembark from your domestic flight and look out for the clear signs to Flight Connections and follow the route to the airside buses to the other terminals. There is a dedicated bus from T5 to T3. It can get busy and IME there is often a queue for the bus so you might not catch the first one although I have never missed my connection. You will have to go through the hand luggage scanner again when you get to T3 but it's usually no problem. Obviously, the routine is the same in reverse on your return. Your bags will be checked through in both directions.

One note of caution - BA's gates in T3 can be quite a walk from the terminal security entrance and the main shopping/restaurants so I would advise leaving plenty of time to walk through.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    Really? I just cannot remember going through security twice but I have a FastPass form security and mostly travel alone, so never an issue.
    All passengers will undergo a security check at the departing terminal although those taking the airside bus route will only go through a dedicated bag scanner placed for that specific purpose.

Both the Underground and HEX stations are landside so to access either of them you have to exit your arriving terminal and as if you were a final destination passenger. When you arrive at whichever is next terminal you need you are completely outside a secure area and, apart from having to check in, are no different from a passenger whose journey is starting from there although, provided both flights are on the same reservation, BA will have transferred your checked bags for you.

This is a useful guide:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25935786-post6.html
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 29-11-2017 at 14:12.

Florida Chatterbox
    Many thanks for the answers.
    For anyone interested I have also found the following link
    https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections
    Last edited by vickk; 29-11-2017 at 14:28.