Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Info request JFK Airport

Info request JFK Airport

I fly into JFK airport with American Airlines, presumable Terminal 8. I depart JFK for MCO, again with AA from Terminal 8 (I think). I believe that T8 is in 2 separate terminal buildings. Anyone know if I will have to transfer between terminal buildings, and if so, what is the best way to transfer?

TIA

Depends on how much time you have. I have done it within 50 minutes but AA gave me an orange envelope for express clearance for immigration and security. You will also need to collect your bags and drop them for the domestic flight. The quickest way to transfer is to use one of the free golf buggy carts (drivers expect a tip). If unsure I always download the terminal layout and check the distance between gates. All that said if you booked the flight as a 'whole' it is down to the airline to allow you enough time. I fly a lot and have had some very tight transfers and never missed one. Make sure you get a window seat, the NY skyline is impressive from a jet window.

I have hours, but son and daughter only have a couple of hours between arrival & departure. So doesn't give them much time to disembark, clear immigration & customs, transfer luggage, then get to the departure gate.

Couple of hours is fine. Just tell them to be prepared for security. shoes off, jewellery off, laptops out of bag etc.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGEYE View Post
    I believe that T8 is in 2 separate terminal buildings. Anyone know if I will have to transfer between terminal buildings, and if so, what is the best way to transfer?

TIA
    Within T8 international arrivals is located in a different area from all departures and both are exclusive to AA. The departures area is actually in 2 parts on either side of the aircraft stands but if you do need to go to the far building you walk between them underground all without the need to go outside. Unless your walking ability is restricted in some way I would say it isn't by any means challenging.

You will arrive at the lower level, clear immigration and re-check your bags before exiting into an indoor arrivals hall. As you do so you will see lifts and escalators up to "Departures" across the hall. You go 1 floor up and are then right in the departures area. You will clear security again before entering the Gates area. As AA control T8 any late international arrivals are met by their agents who will hand out the orange fast-track cards Martin refers to. You need to go to the far end of the departures security (which is quite poorly signed) to take advantage of that otherwise you will have to use the consistently long lines in the general gate entrance.

I used to transit JFK several times a month up to a couple of years ago and, like Martin, while I had a few close shaves I don't think I ever missed my connection. In the very unlikely event that happens to you I always found AA to be the most accommodating carrier in those circumstances so you really have little cause for concern.

(Just to add- if you are returning through JFK your domestic flight will arrive in the same terminal as your international flight departs from so a much simpler routine!)
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 18-10-2017 at 03:27.