Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Transponder

Florida Expert

Transponder

I know it's been asked before but is there a problem with using any of the hire company cars with our own transponder? In the past we've always used Budget which has a transponder fitted that is easily switched off but this and the other website we use have stopped using Budget carhire. Do the others have a transponder fitted or are they now only number plate recognition?

I'm assuming you are talking about the toll road transponders here.

I'm not sure if they have a hard fitted transponder, but We've hired from alamo,national and thrifty in the past few years and used our own transponder with no problems.

However, i do make a point of putting the car reg as a rental car in my online account.
    Wilf & Sarah

Florida Chatterbox
    We have our own transponder and never had a problem. Pretty sure Alamo and Dollar work off number plate recognition.

Like Wilf I put the cars license plate on my Sun Pass account and I always go through the first toll booth on the Beachline after leaving the airport just to be sure my transponer is working okay.

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy View Post
    I'm assuming you are talking about the toll road transponders here.

I'm not sure if they have a hard fitted transponder, but We've hired from alamo,national and thrifty in the past few years and used our own transponder with no problems.

However, i do make a point of putting the car reg as a rental car in my online account.
    We do the same and have had no problems with Dollar.
    Gerry and Sue

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel Oak View Post
    Like Wilf I put the cars license plate on my Sun Pass account and I always go through the first toll booth on the Beachline after leaving the airport just to be sure my transponer is working okay.
    I do exactly the same on the 417

There's something quite nice when you wind the window down and feel that lovely warm Florida evening air.

I still miss the old style transponders, the ones that went beep when you went through a toll. I found that beep very reassuring.
    Steve

Florida Savvy
    We have our own transponder and miss the beep too, however if you watch the lights it should turn green, which is reassuring :-)