Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Options for paying tolls?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks for the replies which are much appreciated.

Apologies for asking the same question again but would I need to inform the rental desk that I'll be using my own transponder? The main firms have slightly differing policies but Alamo for example say that that the first time you go through a cashless lane you are automatically "opting in" to their billing arrangement which means a levy on the toll while Dollar require you to "opt out" when you pick the car up but then charges you over and above the normal fee if you do go through those lanes (I've been caught out by that policy in the past).

I like the idea of buying a unit and obviously it has worked well enough for others and maybe I'm just being a bit thick here but I still don't quite get how the system knows to bill that unit and allows you to avoid the rental firm charges completely.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 16-08-2017 at 02:40.

If they ask at the desk about a transponder we do say we have our own - we usually use Dollar, but have never made a point of saying so. I believe that the hire company only get notified of a toll against your car if your own transponder does not register, but I may be wrong. It would do no harm to confirm with the desk that you have your own. We have never had a charge from a rental company for a toll. As I understand it, if no transponder is detected, the number plate is recorded and then the toll sent to the owner, the rental company, and they pass that on to you.
    We did once have a car with what looked like a transponder in it - it did have an on/off switch so we made sure it was off. However this was a few years ago and I think the system has changed now.

Sue
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 16-08-2017 at 06:37.
    Gerry and Sue

Florida Chatterbox
    We have never informed the desk that we have a transponder and just put it on the windscreen in the garage and have never had a problem.

On the way to the house we always go through the first toll booth on the Beachline to make sure it's working.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm very grateful for those replies.

I will definitely give it try when I'm in Florida next month and will probably use Dollar as we have confirmed success with them!

Thanks again to all.

I figured this out the last time we were over. rental cars do not have transponders. They work from the licence plate. Carrying your own transponders overides the rental plate system

Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    I'm very grateful for those replies.

I will definitely give it try when I'm in Florida next month and will probably use Dollar as we have confirmed success with them!

Thanks again to all.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    I figured this out the last time we were over. rental cars do not have transponders. They work from the licence plate. Carrying your own transponders overides the rental plate system
    That would explain it - thanks.

Incidentally, while I've been looking into this question I've discovered that there is at least 1 class action in place against several Florida car rental firms alleging failure to properly inform renters of their options and the true potential costs of signing up to their toll billing arrangements. The practice of charging a so-called 'convenience fee" even on days when no tolls charges are incurred is said to be potentially unlawful.

It is also alleged that some of them have relied upon not receiving complaints because on an individual basis the amounts aren't that high but collectively they have managed to manufacture a healthy income stream from the introduction of cashless tools booths which was never the intention.

If anybody is interested to know more, a quick Google search will direct you.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 19-08-2017 at 12:02.

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Hi !
    Can anyone please let me know if there are still coin receptacles at the toll booths on the 417 between Orlando International airport and the I-4 ?
    thanks
    tony

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2000 View Post
    Hi !
    Can anyone please let me know if there are still coin receptacles at the toll booths on the 417 between Orlando International airport and the I-4 ?
    thanks
    tony
    Hi Yes there are, but they always seem to overcharge. The only way to stop this is to put the coins in one at a time and wait for each one to register before putting the next in.
    Christine

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone
    Thanks Christine, we usually rent with Alomo but this time we are using thrifty, so as we are only there for a week this time, was wondering if we should just pay the tolls separately instead of getting a ‘tolls’ bill with daily usage, when we get home.

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2000 View Post
    Thanks Christine, we usually rent with Alomo but this time we are using thrifty, so as we are only there for a week this time, was wondering if we should just pay the tolls separately instead of getting a ‘tolls’ bill with daily usage, when we get home.
    Most of the tolls are manned so you can pay cash (up to a $20 bill). some of the exits have exact payment only cash bins but if you are going from the airport to the I4 these are all manned
    Christine