Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for paying tolls?

Florida Newbie

Options for paying tolls?

Hi Guys,

It has been a few years since we last went. We will spend most of our time in Orlando and not use toll roads. We will then drive down to Miami on the Turnpike. Should we pay as we go, or go for a Sunpass or similar?

Thanks,
    Rog

Eagle Pointe, Florida, & Swanland, East Yorkshire
    Hi Rog, we have just returned from a drive down to Florida Key West. Most of the tolls onroute are cashless now so you need to either pay for the hire car tolls or buy a sunpass. I prefer a sunpass Tolls are cheaper and less hassle.

It will auto charge as you progress through the tolls.

Enjoy the trip
    Graham

Florida Newbie
    Hi, hope you had a good time! Where is the best place to buy the Sunpass?

I believe walgreens or Publix sell them. We have had one for several years now, very simple to set up and top up automatically.

The only issue is to remember to remove from windscreen when you drop the car off.!
    Graham

Florida Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    I believe walgreens or Publix sell them. We have had one for several years now, very simple to set up and top up automatically.

The only issue is to remember to remove from windscreen when you drop the car off.!
    Will go with that suggestion. Many thanks.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post

There seems to be 2 types for sale. A portable at $19.99 and a mini sticker transponder at $4.99. Is it the latter you have and, if so, can you see any reason to spend 4 times as much on the portable version? As far as I can see they do exactly the same job.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    The portable version is designed so that you can easily remove it and apply it to a different vehicle. That way, you can keep it and put it on the next vehicle you rent when you visit in the future.
    Mike

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunVilla View Post
    The portable version is designed so that you can easily remove it and apply it to a different vehicle. That way, you can keep it and put it on the next vehicle you rent when you visit in the future.
    That makes sense now! I assume that the cheaper version won't work once it's removed?

I'm still puzzled ny how all this works though. I understand almost all rental cars now have transponders fitted so do you have to deactivate that to avoid the potential for either double billing or the fitted unit clocking up the tolls irrespective of whether you have your own unit? I have read a few reports of that kind of thing happening and would obviously want to avoid any problems. Unsurprisingly, the rental car firms aren't big fans of people buying their own transponder.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 15-08-2017 at 14:45.

We have the portable one too. You need to open an on line account for your transponder, register a credit card(instructions are in the box) and then you can just add on a rental car number plate etc for the dates you have it each time you are in Florida. You can back date the dates that you have the car, a day or two, so that it is fine to use for the drive from the airport and then just add it on to your account when you have WiFi. Even if you have not added the car, the transponder should be picked up by the scanners and the toll charged to your account.
    I would imagine that the sticker type are just that, a sticker, and that they would no be re-usable once they have been un-stuck. The portable ones have suction cups so that they can easily be removed and re-attached to another car. We have had ours for several years now and it always works fine when we arrive.

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

Yes we have the removable sucker type. One tip is when I first stick it on in MCO I usually go through the cash lane and check to ensure it is working ok. As you approach the cash lane the light goess green at the booth so I know its ok to use.

I register the rental car once I arrive at the villa and it has been great driving to Key West this year as you pass many cashless tolls.
    Graham