Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premium economy Pros/Cons

Premium economy Pros/Cons

Hi Peeps

Off on our jolly holidays to the Sunshine State again at the end of August 2018 and I am wondering what the real difference is between Premium Eco and regular economy. Is there a big difference in price? what do you get for the extra cash? and is there a difference between airllnes ? only ever flown economy so any info and opinions would be appreciated ...
    Wendy

I have done PE on Virgin, BA and another (can't remember airline). Personally im quite happy with economy but need extra legroom (knees are not what they were). In my opinion I dont think PE is all that special for what you get but it is an improvement on Economy. For me the comfort level doesn't vastly improve until the next class up, which I only take on free upgrades guess it all depends on how much extra you are paying for it. Anything over £150 for an upgrage and I would probably just go for extra legroom seats. I'ts all down to perceived value I guess.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by florida4sun View Post
    I'ts all down to perceived value I guess.
    Very much so I think.

It's certainly an improvement on Economy but I wouldn't pay hundreds of pounds extra for what I see as a marginal difference and especially so if I was forking out for a family. The meals are slightly better but still airline food on a tray and while the extra legroom is welcome I still find the seats fairly cramped for long haul travel.

If you keep your eyes open for the occasional PE sales and you see what for you is an affordable fare difference between the 2 classes then perhaps give it a try but don't expect to be wowed.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 12-08-2017 at 04:54.

I would rather spend money on extra leg room/ exit seats in economy as the leg room is the most important thing for me. The slightly better food and welcome drink (Virgin) is nice but I don't usually make use of a second case (again I have only done this with Virgin). There is only a little more space in PE and the exit seats in economy have more legroom (not as wide as PE) - but of course you do not have seat back screens and have to use the ones that fold into your chair. I have travelled buisness on BA on one occation (thanks to our insurance company following a bad traffic accident - Gerry had a nurse with him as he was on oxygen and they upgraded the whole family as we also had less severe injuries ) - now that was different, flat beds, amazing meal etc but I would have had to have won the lottery to feel comfortable spending that much money on a 9/10 hr flight.
    As with everything it is getting the most enjoyment/ value for your money and I can think of things that would give me more pleasure for the money. We have just booked a 5 day Disney Christmas cruise, with the Florida resident discount, for K2 for three of us and I'd much rather do that than pay for a family in PE.

Sue
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 12-08-2017 at 07:03.
    Gerry and Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Reed View Post
    I would rather spend money on extra leg room/ exit seats in economy as the leg room is the most important thing for me. The slightly better food and welcome drink (Virgin) is nice but I don't usually make use of a second case (again I have only done this with Virgin). There is only a little more space in PE and the exit seats in economy have more legroom (not as wide as PE) - but of course you do not have seat back screens and have to use the ones that fold into your chair. I have travelled buisness on BA on one occation (thanks to our insurance company following a bad traffic accident - Gerry had a nurse with him as he was on oxygen and they upgraded the whole family as we also had less severe injuries ) - now that was different, flat beds, amazing meal etc but I would have had to have won the lottery to feel comfortable spending that much money on a 9/10 hr flight.
    As with everything it is getting the most enjoyment/ value for your money and I can think of things that would give me more pleasure for the money. We have just booked a 5 day Disney Christmas cruise, with the Florida resident discount, for K2 for three of us and I'd much rather do that than pay for a family in PE.

Sue
    I agree whole heartedly Sue, the seat on the aircraft is just a short part of the holiday and a means to an end. I have bilateral knee replacements but I can stretch my legs under the seat in front and just get up and move to stop getting too stiff. I just find the seats very hard and my lower back aches.

I have travelled Virgin PE a few of times using air miles and have been upgraded to upper class twice which was absolutely amazing but no way would I pay the standard cost of upperclass. PE seats are bigger with a little more legroom but if you are on the inside you still cant get out easily without disturbing the person next to you.
    We had an upgrade to World traveller plus with BA once but I could barely notice the difference in size, it was leather and more comfortable though!
    Best experience was an upgrade to 1st class with Air Canada, my husband used to travel a lot for business and had gold status (or equivalent) with star alliance and I guess we just got lucky, now he is retired we are just pleb status.

The money that we would spend on upgrading our aircraft seats is better spent on other aspects of our holiday, I would far rather upgrade my holiday accommodation when not staying at our own villa, or have extra nights away.

its horses for courses though and I respect each individuals right to decide what's important or necessary for them.

Liz

Hi Wendy, I flew with Virgin for the first time this year, we were quoted £440 for economy and £610 for economy out premium economy back - i was travelling with my daughter and she shops!! So we booked the premium economy return, as it was going to cost virtually that for the extra case each - have to say I wouldn't bother if I didn't want the extra luggage allowance. Yes the seats were slightly larger and had a foot rest but really wasn't much else that was worth paying the extra for. What I would say is the cheapest I got quoted for Virgin for the same flights online was £516 and Danny at Charter travel beat that quote hands down!
    Caroline & Dave

Florida Junior
    I normally book PE on the way back for a few reasons, there is a slight increase in room, it is a smaller quieter section of the cabin, which, after a hectic 2 weeks is nice.
    If, like me, you do a lot of shopping you get automatically get to take 2 cases with you, so, as I always need 2 cases I take the cost of an extra case off my overall PE charge, if that makes sense.
    We travel econ on the way out and put our slightly smaller case inside our larger empty one!

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    We booked premium economy on our leg to JFK this monday just gone. Think they changed the plane to one with more business class seats so we got a free upgrade. Well worth it for this trip but its just luck
    Christine

I've flown on BA World Traveller Plus (which is what they call premium economy). The difference in the seat is minimal, but I do like the folding footrest.

The benefits are the extra suitcase allowance, slightly easier boarding and, if anyone still uses them, laptop power in your seat.

I wouldn't pay any more than a couple of hundred pounds for the upgrade, but it's going to vary for every traveller.
    Tony G

Florida Savvy
    You should really check out TUI/Thomson .. we have used them the last 7 trips to Orlando and the premium is way better than Virgin (in our opinion) and a lot cheaper. They Fly the 787 Dreamliner from Gatwick to Orlando Sanford. Sanford is a little further but is soooo much quicker then MCO (Orlando In Airport).

Their upgrades to Premium are usually £275 each (round trip not one way).

Perks are:

Premium checkin & security at Gatwick
    Free Number 1 lounge at Gatwick
    Boarding first
    Bigger Seats
    Extra Luggage
    Choice of meals
    Premium Lounge on return from Sanford to Gatwick

We've done a number of videos on YouTube showcasing the Dreamliner and premium Econ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26S2etHDMQ