Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Pick up Dulles, drop off Miami

Florida Expert

Pick up Dulles, drop off Miami

Hi Roger,
    We need to do a 2 week trip one way from Dulles to Miami.
    Is there a cost effect Way of doing this without having to pay silly drop off fees?
    I've run the numbers on your online quoting and see Alamo charge $250 and the others $500 but their rates are higher.
    Is there any clever way of lessening the hit?
    Neil & Kay

Last year we picked up a car from Alamo at Dulles with a final drop off in Tampa. By luck the car we wanted had Florida plates on. When we finally went to take it back in Tampa we queried the drop off charge saying we had actually returned their car to them. They agreed - no charge. If you have not found a better way I would suggest you look to see if any cars have Florida plates.
    Maureen Green

Florida Expert
    Hi Mo, great info.
    Did you pay the drop off fee initially when you picked up the car?
    If so did they just recredit you when they agreed in Tampa.
    How was the pick up in Dulles, did you use the machines and go straight through or did you go to the desk?
    What were the choice lines like, do they have many cars to choose from, compared to Orlando, bigger or smaller or same?
    Sorry lots of questions but I've never done a Dulles pick up or a one way rental before ��
    Neil & Kay

Administrator
    There is no easy way to do this, and what worked for Maureen shouldn't have worked (no harm in trying though!). Although the car had Florida plates, there are just as likely other cars in Florida and other states that need returning to their state, but that doesn't mean Alamo will necessarily waive the fee. The 1-way fees are part of the agreed rental so it would be hard to argue if they do still insist you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Hi Mo, great info.
    Did you pay the drop off fee initially when you picked up the car?
    If so did they just recredit you when they agreed in Tampa.
    How was the pick up in Dulles, did you use the machines and go straight through or did you go to the desk?
    What were the choice lines like, do they have many cars to choose from, compared to Orlando, bigger or smaller or same?
    Sorry lots of questions but I've never done a Dulles pick up or a one way rental before ��
    We stayed in Washington for a few nights and collected a car mid morning. We went to the desk as it was really quiet. Afraid I don't know how many cars they would have there if you went to collect straight from a flight but mid morning there was not a lot of choice. It was pure chance that the car we chose had Florida plates. It was only as we were driving down to Florida we thought about asking for a refund. As Roger said it should not have worked but we thought no harm in asking. Alamo put the credit back on our card.
    Maureen Green

Florida Expert
    Ok thanks for your help Mo.
    Let me have your referral code and I'll stick that on the car rental for you.
    Neil & Kay

Many thanks Neil. Greatly appreciate that. Hope you are as lucky as we were.
    Maureen Green

Florida Expert
    Roger,
    I've booked a car and paid the deposit.
    I've chosen the enhanced roadside assistance but after the booking was confirmed I've then got an email saying the enhanced was declined until I made a payment. Is this how it's supposed to work?
    Neil & Kay

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Green View Post
    Many thanks Neil. Greatly appreciate that. Hope you are as lucky as we were.
    Hi Mo,
    Well it worked. We specifically picked a Dodge Caravan with Florida plates and returned it to Florida.
    When we dropped it off at Miami I just said the desk in Washington had said that I might be able to get the drop off fee waived.
    So they just wiped it off for me. ��
    I owe you a drink ��
    Neil & Kay

Hi Neil
    Glad it worked for you.
    Mo
    Maureen Green