Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Cycling in Florida - Lake Louisa State Park near Clermont

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.

Cycling in Florida - Lake Louisa State Park near Clermont

I'm over in Florida next week for a few nights and bringing my road bike to get out early mornings for some longer rides (50+ miles).

I'm struggling with routes as there are a lot of main roads to avoid, but a cycling friend who used to live there many years ago suggested the area round Lake Louisa State Park. The roads look nice and quiet and perfect for what I need.

What I can't figure out is am I ok to ride in the park itself and are the roads in the park concrete as my road bike is unforgiving on gravel and rough surfaces and I'll end up with an expensive bill for 2 new wheels if I'm not careful.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    My brother and his wife have taken their bikes to Lake Louisa on several occasions and have enjoyed their time there. There are plenty of paved roads to ride.
    Mike

Thanks Mike.

Someone on our Facebook page has also kindly suggested the Van Fleet Trail which runs from Polk City to near Clermont and is fully paved and follows an old railway line.

Gold 5 Star Member
    John, we've done Lake Louisa on bikes and it is paved and easy to ride but you would be hard pushed to do 50+ miles unless you go round quite a few times. Also, not sure what the roads are like on 27 up near Lake Louisa now but the roadworks up that end of 27 were pretty bad and I wouldn't want to be cycling there too much if it is still the same.

We've done the Van Fleet trail from end to end, I think it's about 30 miles one way. It is straight and easy cycling, if not a little repetitive. There is nothing on the route in the way of facilities except chem loo's at the trail heads.

We much prefer the West Orange Trail and South Lake and Lake Minneola Trail just off the 50. If you start at Kilarney Station you can go east for the Lake trails and west for West Orange. Plenty of facilities along both routes at the trail heads and stations. Try www.tralllink.com, rails to trails, for more trails in the area.
    Rosie

Fab thanks Rosie. I was thinking of cycling the quieter roads to the west of the 27 and dipping into Lake Louisa State Park as part of the route. Looks like it's a possibility.

i was thinking the same about the Van Fleet Trail. I don't mind no facilities as I'm used to long distance cycling under my own resources (just bring some energy gels, flapjack and water etc etc) but a very straight track for 30 miles is not too interesting.

Will check out the other two trails you mentioned. Looks interesting.

I've got two road loops planned already from Crescent Lakes:

Davenport, Poinviana, Kissimmee Waterfront and back: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14923202

Round East Lake Toho via St Cloud beach: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14935570

Gold 5 Star Member
    Both of those look good John, will save them also.

If you like "hills" at least as good as it gets in Fl then the Lakes trail is much more hilly. Almost killed ourselves the first time we did it LOL.
    Rosie

Absolutely love hills Rosie. I'm in North Yorkshire today doing an organised Sportive with hundreds of other cyclists. 88 miles and nearly 6000ft of climbing. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    If you like "hills" at least as good as it gets in Fl then the Lakes trail is much more hilly. Almost killed ourselves the first time we did it LOL.

Gold 5 Star Member
    OMG thats very impressive, well done :-) We did the Star Wars 10k at Disney on Saturday.
    Rosie

Thanks. Well done on the 10k, that's very impressive too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    OMG thats very impressive, well done :-) We did the Star Wars 10k at Disney on Saturday.