Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: UK Driving licence

Florida Chatterbox

UK Driving licence

Could someone explain the situation about the UK plastic driving licence requirements when picking up car hire in California. My son and his friend are picking up a car in September and my son has the plastic portion and the paper one, his mate however has renewed his and now only has the card part. Both willbe driving so does my son need to take the paper part and does his mate need anything in addition to the plastic card.

Thanks

You only need plastic part. Paper part no longer needed.

The paper part of a UK driving licence has now been abolished so he can pop it in the shredder if he wants. The new system requires you to authorize a hire company to check your driving convictions (or lack of) on-line, and this authority comes as a code which the hire company can enter into the DVLA site and out will pop your up to date driver status. You need to apply for this code IN ADVANCE, not at the hire desk, and the code is valid for three weeks, if I remember rightly, but can only be used once, so if multiple car hires are planned for a trip, you need to take a few codes.

Having said all that, I've never been asked for a code in the USA, they just look at the plastic licence and hand it back. To not take a code would be bonkers though, as 5 minutes on the internet at home could save you a lot of taxi fares on holiday.

You will need your National Insurance number when you apply for the authority code, and you apply for it here:

http://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Both drivers will need an authority code. I hope this helps.
    Dave.

We used to have the original paper only licences, but replaced them a few months ago as we need to show photo ID so many times when using a credit card in the US that we were having to carry our passports all the time. We have had two hire cars this holiday and no one asked for an ID code (good because we did not have one). I thought all that code stuff had stopped now. Has anyone ever had to give a code?

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

"all that code stuff" has most definitely not stopped now. Follow the link in my previous reply.
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    "all that code stuff" has most definitely not stopped now. Follow the link in my previous reply.
    OK but I thought I remembered a discussion on here when the paper half of the new style licence was abolished and the conclusion was you wouldn't need the code. Maybe we should have kept our old style paper only licence. So has anyone ever been asked for one ?

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

It may be worth a visit to this older thread where this was discussed in some length. The answer at that time was that a code would NOT be needed for any hire in the U.S.

Regards Dave

https://www.orlando-guide.info/forum...highlight=DVLA
    Dave Lewis

Florida Chatterbox
    Many thanks for the replies however there still different opinions. Dads_Taxi are you speaking from personal experience? From the other thread you would have to assume that Roger knows his stuff but that was in 2015. Is it still the case in USA?

Yes, from personal experience I have not been asked for a code when hiring a car in the USA. I have had to provide a code several times in the UK.

It takes two minutes to generate a code, it's not worth risking hiring a car anywhere without having a code ready to show if asked. I don't wish to sound like I'm contradicting Roger's advice, which I acknowledge is second to none, but for peace of mind why wouldn't anyone spend the two minutes to get a code?
    Dave.

Administrator
    To clarify, a code is not required for rentals within the USA.

If you have the very old paper-only type of license, then take that plus photo ID (passport).
    If you have the not-so-old type of license (paper and photo), take both parts.
    If you have the new type (photo only) then just take that.

Whichever you have, no code is required.