Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling up from Key West to Orlando

Florida Chatterbox

Travelling up from Key West to Orlando

Hello

next summer we are going down to the Keys for a few days. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay on the way back up to Orlando to break up the journey. Ideally we want to stay somewhere off the Keys but not in Miami.

Many thanks
    Julie

Florida Chatterbox
    Probably a bit out of the way but you could take the Tamiami Trail over to Naples. Naples and neighboring Marco Island are great places to stay.

Florida Chatterbox
    When we drove up from Key West to Orlando we drove on the Tamiami Trail rather than the interstate and stopped for an airboat tour in the Everglades. We made an overnight stop in Naples before continuing on the coast road until we joined the interstate on to Orlando.

We stayed in a Holiday Inn in Naples but as it was quite a few years ago it may no longer be a Holiday Inn.

Florida Chatterbox
    Based on the suggestion of stopping off for an airboat ride, I would suggest going to everglades city and taking a ride with Speedys.

We stayed over in Fort Myers Beach and then took the Key West Express the rest of the way, I would do it again in a heartbeat much more fun than driving all the way.

Liz

Florida Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by vickk View Post
    Based on the suggestion of stopping off for an airboat ride, I would suggest going to everglades city and taking a ride with Speedys.

And stay the night in one of the Motels in Everglade City ...... then you could crossover Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41)

and head onto Hwy 29 to Immokalee to Port LaBelle & turn right onto Hwy 80 to Hwy 27

Join Hwy 27 going North to Sebring & on to Hwy I-4 Or Hwy 192

This is a different drive but very pleasant & scenic & no tolls

We always do the H27 rather than the bigger roads. Takes a bit longer but much more relaxed and easy to stop to stretch your legs a couple of times. Also our villa is on the H27.
    When we went to the keys in September we stayed in Florida city at a motel (Travelodge) for the night. Very reasonable - £70 for a room for 3 and a great breakfast included. Not much to see in Florida city but great just for an overnight sleep if that is all you want.
    Gerry and Sue

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    Follow up question -

Is it faster from Key West to Orlando by East or West coast?
    Mike

We once did Keywest then onto The Breakers, Palm Beach on the east coast. Fabulous place to stay but I would give the place atkeast 2 full days.

Florida Chatterbox
    Not sure which is the shortest. We do miami to Naples every year in 2hrs on the Tamiami and I think Naples to Orlando would be around 3.5 hrs