Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: visa

Florida Expert

visa

Does a 90 day visitor visa (ESTA) run from 1st Jan - 31st Dec eg - 90 days per calendar year. Confused

Nic

No..
    In theory, you can stay in US for 90 days, leave for one & then stay for another 90 days....
    HOWEVER, immigration may well take a dim view & refuse entry even though, in law, this is allowed...

Florida Expert
    ok thanks, but here,s what i don't understand. We had 14 days in April 2016, now we are going out for another 49 days until Jan 10th 2017. This is a total of 63 days, so does that mean we only have 27 days left until April 2017? ta Nic

It is 90 days per visit. Not 90 days total. You can visist as many times as you like as long as you return back to your native country each time. You can do this multiple times. That said admittance is always down to you being able to satisfy the immigration offer that you have have a reason to go back home, have no plans to work on the USA and have the funds to support yourrself. Lack of a return ticket can be problematic.
    Also it is not a visa, it is a visa waiver.
    So basicly if you try to get in and have sold everything up at home, have a one way ticket and little funds. You might not get in

Quote Originally Posted by nicseg View Post
    ok thanks, but here,s what i don't understand. We had 14 days in April 2016, now we are going out for another 49 days until Jan 10th 2017. This is a total of 63 days, so does that mean we only have 27 days left until April 2017? ta Nic

Florida Expert
    thanks so much, it all clear now. Nic

Florida Expert
    Question from the immigration officer to us at Tampa this month after asking how long we were staying was "where are you guys staying?"

I said "We've rented a house in Davenport"

Him with a quizical look "What the hell are you going to do in Davenport for 2 weeks?"

I quickly said we were going to Disney and he relaxed a bit.

That's not quite as clear cut that you can stay 90 days, go out of the country and come back for 90 days throughout the year. You cannot stay anymore than 180 days in a 12 month period as you then in effect are a resident in US which of course you are not allowed to be. I was hauled in (and I have a B1/B2) as they said I had already had 180 days in the year. I asked them in secondary questioning when did the actual year 'start' was it 12 months from the date of the Visa or was it 1st January - 31st December and they could not give me an answer. In the end they said 'let's call it from today'!!!! It's a joke. My friend had the 90 day Visa Waiver ( now called Esta) and went back and forth never staying more than 90 days until one day they were told they could not come back into the USA. They had their own villa and were not allowed to return to sell it and lost everything. It is now 10 years since that incident and they have just been told they can return to USA for a vacation from 1st January 2017 and can only stay 90 days in one year!

The whole thing is a nightmare so when at the US Embassy to renew my B1/B2 which I have had over 25 years, I asked them what are the rules. They told me 'it depends which side of the bed the IO got out of that morning'. They don't even know the rules so anyone on a forum certainly doesn't (no disrespect to anyone!!) and it is a chance one takes.