Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duty free allowances

Duty free allowances

As I have gotten older and wiser, I have left most of my vices long behind me. But the one which I simply refuse to give up and enjoy more than anything else is a good cigar. As a frequent visitor to the USA, I have always been able to bring back enough to last me until my next trip. However, as my trips are likely to become less frequent (kids all growing up), I have been pondering over how to keep my supplies of Montecristo cigars topped up. A couple of weeks ago I ordered 15 Churchills online and have just had to pay over £100 to the excise men.

So, I am allowed to bring in 50 cigars duty free, and intend to do so when I am over again in October. My question is - can my wife also bring in 50 cigars? It would stretch the credulity of any customs officer to claim these are for her personal use, as she doesn't smoke (I don't know any lady who smokes large cigars) and is never done complaining about my last and most enjoyable vice.

If she brings them as a gift for me, does that add them to my allowance? She will, rightly, refuse to lie to the customs officer and I don't want to put her in an awkward position. Does anyone know the answer? I can't find it on the various web sites I have searched.
    Tonish

Florida Junior
    You will have 2 Boarding Cards .

So Two lots of Duty Free Cigars. PROVIDED they stay in the Sealed Bag which should have the sales receipt

placed inside. One of you carries the Carrier Bag ( with sealed duty free bags inside ) .

TIP

Why not Buy the cigars " Duty Free " going to USA .

Then while in USA break open Cigar Box ............ Then Pack them in Hold Luggage on way Back.

That way you have TWO lots of Cigars ........ ONE Lot Open ......One lot Sealed Duty Free

Gold 5 Star Member
    While I don't have a definitive answer, it would be very surprising to me if the goods can't be gifted to anybody she chooses even less impact upon the allowance of that person. On a wider point, being stopped by Customs off a flight from the US appears to be a very rare occurrence these days.

Just out of interest Peter, where do you buy them from over there? I usually smoke 2 or 3 cigars on holiday and pick them up from Total Wine on US41 in Fort Myers. You may know a better place.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 26-09-2016 at 02:00.

As far as I understand, her duty free allowance is hers and she can do what she likes with the goods when in the UK (except sell them).

Sue
    Gerry and Sue

The allowance is per person so you can double up. The open box thing has always worked for me. I used to enjoy a fine cigar but no longer smoke. I always bring back some for firends and I get stopped fequently as I usually carry a lot of excess luggage. They have never questioned an extra open box with cigar removed. As it happens I am not taking cigars back with me this time and fly back tomorrow. If your in need I will happily pick a box up and mail them onto you.Just let me know what you need.
    If you like a real good cigar and get to the Miami area. You can get cuban leaf cigars hand rolled right in front of your eyes for a fraction of the retail price.
    Last edited by florida4sun; 29-09-2016 at 10:46.

There's a great cigar shop at Dr Phillips - Corona's - I think they offer 10% off on Tuesdays and they also have a loyalty programme. It's next door to Roy's restaurant (also excellent) and a little further along is Seasons 52 (another good place!)
    Caroline & Dave

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Apologies for delay in response, I was staying in a hotel for a week and the internet connection was down, then got caught up in heading off on holiday - I'll maybe do a brief trip report.

Phil, I don't have a regular place for cigars, I will definitely try your place this week. (If I have any money left. Our baggage disappeared on the journey and Alison has been spending all our budget on new clothes!). If I am in Orlando I usually buy a couple of boxes from the liquor store beside Publix in Champions Gate. They always seem to have my favourite brand (Montecristo Platinum). When in Sanibel/Captiva I usually just buy them in twos or threes from one of the local stores - although they can often be disappointing because they aren't always properly stored. Just bought a couple from the liquor store beside Jerry's supermarket and they were far too moist.

Martin, many, many thanks for your kind offer. Too late for this time but if you don't mind, I might take you up on it in the future. You are clearly a man after my own heart.

Kind regards
    Last edited by Tonish; 20-10-2016 at 19:04.
    Tonish

Phil, I went to the Total Wine place and stocked up on cigars. Thanks for the tip, it was well worth the trip. I will visit the one in Orlando when I am there at Christmas. They had everything I wanted (more or less), with the exception of Montecristo number two, and all at a reasonable price. They give an extra 10% off full boxes, but as they didn't have a full box of Number Ones, they gave me the 10% off the 15 that they had loose.

I'm delighted and thanks again.

Cheers
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    My pleasure Peter. I'm far from an expert on cigars and rarely smoke them when I'm at home even when I bring some back but it just seems to suit the mood when I'm over there.

Was all OK at customs or aren't you back yet?

Cheers Phil. Got back on Sunday, absolutely no customs in sight.
    Tonish