Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices this year

Florida Expert

Prices this year

One of my neighbours has just come back from her first trip to Florida and was bemoaning the fact that due to the exchange rates things were either expensive or not as cheap as she thought they would be.

We've looked at online menu's and can't honestly say restaurant prices look dear this year but do any posters who've been recently think that it isn't that cheap anymore?

Florida Chatterbox

Prices this year

we are on Marco Island at the moment and we felt the grocery shopping and the outlet shopping were more expensive but eating out we didn't find any different to other years

Florida Junior
    What is expensive to one person is acceptable/cheap to another - this is how the world works.

The current exchange rate is going to play a big part in this. I'll be using the € v $.

I've been lucky enough over the years to get between $1.35 - $1.43 for every €1.00. We are visiting Orlando in September this year (Can't wait) and it looks like we are going to be hammered at the exchange rate. Currently its around $1.09 - $1.12 for every €1.00.

Still, I'm really looking forward to our holiday.

Florida Savvy
    We've been going for the last 12 years so have seen a big difference in the exchange rate... but I would say that it's not bad out there at all. It really depends where you eat/shop etc. Obviously if you want to hit the Outlets then this is dollar/pound dependant for value. Eating out.. I would say is fine. We eat at Cheesecake Factory, Outback, Red Lobster etc and the prices are good.
    Grocery shopping is fine.. although they do have odd every day items that seem really overpriced anyway!! Bread & butter always seems to be expensive! lol.. Walmart is cheap. Publix .. not so cheap.

On a side ... I picked up an Apple Watch last month out there.. this worked out £80 cheaper than back here. Bought it at Best Buy as they were $50 cheaper than Apple Store .

Florida Savvy
    Crikey,i remember going when the rate was 2.02 dollar the £.....wont see them days again im sure!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Things can always change but the weakness of the Pound is affecting travel numbers to almost every part of the world and the US is amongst the worst affected because at the same time the Dollar has strengthened. My son and daughter-in-law have just cancelled their Florida plans for next Spring because they don't feel able to justify the level of expenditure involved these days.

For the first time since the Brexit vote I'm in Florida next month and will be paying pretty close attention to what I'm spending which is something I haven't had to do for many years.
    Last edited by Katys Grandad; 13-09-2016 at 03:46.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    Things can always change but the weakness of the Pound is affecting travel numbers to almost every part of the world and the US is amongst the worst affected because at the same time the Dollar has strengthened. My son and daughter-in-law have just cancelled their Florida plans for next Spring because they don't feel able to justify the level of expenditure involved these days.

For the first time since the Brexit vote I'm in Florida next month and will be paying pretty close attention to what I'm spending which is something I haven't had to do for many years.
    I wonder if the Dollar will weaken as it approaches Election time in November depending on which way the vote looks like it's heading (or heads after vote count)?
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post

Yes, i'll be there in October and have become a little bit obsessed with following the daily (sometimes hourly) fluctuations of the Dollar rate on the BBC Market Data Intra day graph!!

My sister in law said she didn't notice much difference in August but she bought all of her currency late in the afternoon of June 23rd when the rate was at a high pre brexit vote results. She did clarify that the prices in $ hadn't changed at all in the 3 years since her last visit but obviously the exchange rate has.

We have just been to the US and didn't really notice any change in prices. We have felt that grocery shopping is the same as back home, or even dearer, for a long time now.
    The problem is when you compare it to sterling prices people expect things to be far less expensive and they are not. Dollar prices are very similar to our last few trips, the exchange rate is not.
    you have to think in dollars and can only compare prices to previous dollar prices, not pounds sterling.

Liz