Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines lack of seat selection availability

American Airlines lack of seat selection availability

I've booked a New York trip for end of May and can't select seats on American Airlines. All the economy seats are greyed out and when I called was told they wouldn't be released until check in. Was offered two middle seats in the central row of four which I have refused and told I have no choice but to wait for check in.

It's quite frustrating and I'm wondering is it a new ploy to encourage payment for an upgraded seat or am I being too cynical?
    Tonish

We travel with our autistic daughter and register with special assistance for bulkhead seats if available. As these can not be promised or allocated until on line check in, we book the best next option so we are at least all together. The bulkhead seats and the row behind (for other members of family as they will only ever give two bulkhead seats to any one party) are always blocked out until check in for staff to allocate. That means that in effect we have two seats each booked at this stage of a flight and if we are allocated bulkhead seats at check in, the other set of seats will be realised. This must happen to others requesting bulkheads. On a full flight that would mean that all seats will show as booked until the bulkheads are released. That may be the problem. Otherwise, look on the bright side, if all the extra leg room seats etc are not sold you might get upgraded for free ! That has also happened to us.

Sue
    Last edited by Gerry Reed; 01-05-2016 at 06:59.
    Gerry and Sue

Did you book direct with AA or via another source?

I was looking at some AA flights in May yesterday and all of them offered to chance to select the seats as the final part of the process.
    Dave Lewis

Florida Chatterbox
    Talking of which am booked with netflights going Aberdeen-Manchester with Flybe then Virgin (Delta assume from Manchester to Atlanta) and then Delta down to Orlando. is there a way to book seats and would it be a case of logging into Flybe site with reference number of Virgin site or Delta site. Oh and doses anyone know if you get to collect Virgin airmiles when booking through netflights?
    Brian
    Brian

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't know about the other parts of your question but do know that you collect Virgin miles for their part of the flight and with Delta as well I believe, just make sure your Flying Club number is on the booking when you check in, hand your card over and ask them to check.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks Steph

Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    I don't know about the other parts of your question but do know that you collect Virgin miles for their part of the flight and with Delta as well I believe, just make sure your Flying Club number is on the booking when you check in, hand your card over and ask them to check.
    Brian

We have just come back from Orlando, American Airlines booked as British Airways flights via an on-line agent, Travel-Up. As soon as I had booked I was able to reserve our seats on the AA site, the central aisle seats were zero charge towards the rear of the plane, I think it was £11 to reserve a centre aisle seat towards the front. The 'outside' aisle seats were £45 each to reserve towards the rear of the plane, and more (can't remember how much, I was too busy seething) towards the front of the plane. Booked those flights mid February.
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dads_Taxi View Post
    We have just come back from Orlando, American Airlines booked as British Airways flights via an on-line agent, Travel-Up. As soon as I had booked I was able to reserve our seats on the AA site, the central aisle seats were zero charge towards the rear of the plane, I think it was £11 to reserve a centre aisle seat towards the front. The 'outside' aisle seats were £45 each to reserve towards the rear of the plane, and more (can't remember how much, I was too busy seething) towards the front of the plane. Booked those flights mid February.
    What was your experience of Travel up, their flight prices can be quite good but their reviews are no so good.
    Jan & Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dawson View Post
    What was your experience of Travel up, their flight prices can be quite good but their reviews are no so good.
    It just worked. Booked flights, e-ticket arrived next day but flights were already on the American Airlines system about an hour after I booked.
    Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonish View Post
    I've booked a New York trip for end of May and can't select seats on American Airlines. All the economy seats are greyed out and when I called was told they wouldn't be released until check in. Was offered two middle seats in the central row of four which I have refused and told I have no choice but to wait for check in.

It's quite frustrating and I'm wondering is it a new ploy to encourage payment for an upgraded seat or am I being too cynical?
    I've sent a PM to you.