Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: New ESTA Rule:

New ESTA Rule:

Just received this:
    Effective April 1, 2016, the United States requires a valid e-Passport (passport with a chip) to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. You are receiving this email because your passport has been identified as a non e-Passport or it was issued prior to your country of citizenship’s issuance of e-Passports. Your ESTA application is cancelled due to this new travel requirement.
    There must be others out there with valid 'chipless' passports, so be warned.....
    This of interest:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...976.1459809521
    Last edited by msmiff; 04-04-2016 at 22:59.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msmiff View Post
    Just received this:
    Effective April 1, 2016, the United States requires a valid e-Passport (passport with a chip) to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program. You are receiving this email because your passport has been identified as a non e-Passport or it was issued prior to your country of citizenship’s issuance of e-Passports. Your ESTA application is cancelled due to this new travel requirement.
    There must be others out there with valid 'chipless' passports, so be warned.....
    This of interest:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...976.1459809521
    I think I read somewhere that it was in 2006 that they were still in transition to the new chipped passports and that if your passport was issued after January 2007 you would almost certainly be fine.
    Babblin Boo

Not sure abput that, I am flying tomorrow and had a call when I booked the flight to make sure I have a chipped passport.

Quote Originally Posted by steph_goodrum View Post
    I think I read somewhere that it was in 2006 that they were still in transition to the new chipped passports and that if your passport was issued after January 2007 you would almost certainly be fine.

Gold 5 Star Member
    They were probably double checking to make sure you are aware and are covered. Reading the link that was posted that also implies that it was passports between march and October 2006 that may or may not have been chipped so after about October this year there shouldn't be any more problems as they will all have expired unless you had some validity left on an old passport and renewed in say September 2006
    Babblin Boo

Super Moderator
    Not sure what they were doing - I had an email to say my ESTA was cancelled and it seemed to be a blanket cover email whether you had a e-passport or not. I had foreseen problems so had decided to re-new my passport as it was inside the time for having the additional months added. Now got to replace an ESTA which was still valid for over a year.

Jill,
    Did you go back to US esta site to check if your esta was still valid?? Just asking as I have heard of a good many folks having estas cancelled!!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
    Jill,
    Did you go back to US esta site to check if your esta was still valid?? Just asking as I have heard of a good many folks having estas cancelled!!
    Mine is still cancelled and have to get a new ESTA. Was not overly happy when I found out some were having their ESTA reinstated.