Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Thursday and Friday

Thursday and Friday

I'm sorry this trip report isn't more exciting but we have turned into a pair of really lazy trouts since we got here. The last twelve months have been a very difficult time for us, with a lot of family illness, the sudden unexpected and unexplained death of my beautiful sister in law, supporting my brother and his two children through this berevent and both of us having this dreadful cold for the last three months. The highlight of the year was of course our wedding, but apart from that if has been very difficult. So finally getting away has helped us to relax, recharge and finally start to feel well again. We have caught up with our sleep deficit, and life is once again good. Yesterday we went into Sarasota to the vintage motor museum. Purely by chance we ended up at the back of the museum in a vintage car show room. The sales man came out to welcome us, he is a very sprightly 86 years young and was happy for us to look around his beautiful cars. Mostly all of them have being lovingly restored and they are beautiful. He had Classic Pontiacs, Mustangs, Chevrolets, Aston Martins, Rolls Royce to name a few, all in prestine condition waiting to be sold. We then went into the museum to see over 100 cars through the ages, but none in the same condition as the ones for sale next door!

From here we went back to Siesta Key to have lunch on the beach, packed up the cooler, got out the beach chairs, slapped on the sun cream, and staggered the 2 mins across the road to the beach. It was glorious. We people watched for a while, went for a walk in the surf and lazed around some more. When it got too hot we went back across the road to the condo and drove out to the Salty Dog restaurant at Lido Key (?). We sat in a sunny spot and enjoyed the sunset whilst eating dinner. A large party of Amish people came and sat behind us, I don't know what there language is but they have a very unusual dialect that I could not understand at all. I have noticed quite a lot of Amish in the area on this trip, they do seem to keep to them selves, I feel for the women, they must be very hot in the long dresses and bonnets. On the drive back we stopped off at a car park on the edge of the causeway and finally saw the Dolphins we had been looking for. A pair came quite close to the land so we could have a good look at them.

Today we had a drive around Bird Island at the homes of the rich and famous, and wow, more beautiful home for us to consider once that lottery win comes in. We came back onto the Island for some last minute gift shopping, had lunch in the condo, as my sunburn from yesterday is a little tender and today is very hot. We plan to go down to the beach at sunset to take some photos, then down to the Hub for dinner tonight. Going on holiday tomorrow to George and Pamela's Villa at Heron Grove, I am so excited I can't wait to go back, so off to pack. Bye for now.
    Diane.

If they were speaking in the old style it would be Pennsylvania German, this is also known as Pennsylvania Dutch, however it is really a dialect of Swiss German that is closer to High German.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

Florida Junior
    The Amish you saw were in all probability Mennonites - there is quite a large community in Sarasota and an off-shoot of the Amish.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    If they were speaking in the old style it would be Pennsylvania German, this is also known as Pennsylvania Dutch, however it is really a dialect of Swiss German that is closer to High German.

Dave
    this makes sense, it did sound like Dutch.
    Diane.

Quote Originally Posted by Markerhouse View Post
    The Amish you saw were in all probability Mennonites - there is quite a large community in Sarasota and an off-shoot of the Amish.
    Thanks for this, it explains why we have seen so many.
    Diane.

We always see loads of Amish people when we visit Sarasota. Loving catching up with your reports hope you are not suffering with jet lag now you are back home in gloomy England