Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Siesta key

Siesta key

Sunday was a lazy day, we had some food shopping to do, put some washing in, then spent a few hours strolling along the beach, walking through the waves and enjoying the feeling of the sun on our backs. We decided to try an Italian restaurant called Flavio's for dinner, and had a very tasty Lasagna, it was refreshing to get a sensible portion that fed only one, rather that the usual portion size that would feed a family of eight! I did confuse the chef by requesting the salad to be served with the main course rather than as a starter. He did as I asked and we all together had a good meal. Wandered back to the condo, another cooler night so slept really well.

Monday, up early again, Drove down to Fort Myers to the Edison - Ford estate. We booked the the audio tour and boat trip and had a fascinating day. The boat tour started with one of the historians with us, filling us in on the back ground of how Edison arrived at Fort Myers. We viewed the estates from the river, then had a very pleasant sail up to the Mangroves to look at the obligatory gators, then back to the estate. I was so ignorant of the the achievements of Thomas Edison I'm ashamed. Basically after visiting Fort Myers he decided it would be a good place to build his winter estate, he purchased some land and built the most beautiful home for his family and staff. As he was botanists he grew several different types of bamboo, (still there today,) to test for the filaments in his light bulbs. He also experimented in growing rubber trees, (still there today,) to process the sap to produce rubber for tyres and other products. The house and grounds are very accessible, the house is beautiful and I want to go live there! It was donated to the people of Fort Myers by his wife, along with all the original furniture just before she died. Henry Ford apparently came to visit, was so impressed he purchased the estate next door. Again, the house and grounds are very accessible and well worth a wander around. Mr Firestone and J Edgar Hoover were regular guests to the estate. We spent all day here and throughly enjoyed it, I feel as if I know Mr Edison and Mr Ford a little better, I do hope I can upload my photos to show you.

We had planned to call into Sanibel, but time had run away with us, so we set off back to Siesta Key, called into Publix for some chicken tenders and spicy wedges, easy dinner, few beers and yet again slept like logs.
    Diane.

Tempted to visit here now. Thank you for taking the time to write reports. Hope you are haveing a great homeymoon
    Jan