Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing US Canada Border

Crossing US Canada Border

We are fancying a trip to Chicago and The Great Lakes next summer taking in Eastern Canada as well. My question is are we insured to cross the border providing we return the car to its original country?
    we have done it a couple of times before without even thinking about it, but now I am wondering if we should have done it [msnembarrased]

Liz

Still looking for an answer on this one. Can't find anything in the FAQs, only something about limited daily mileage if you take a Canadian Rental the other way.
    bit stumped really as I felt sure someone on here would know the answer

Liz

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I've just alerted Roger to this as he will almost certainly know the answer and if not, can quickly find out for you.

Florida Chatterbox
    As far as I can see from the Budget website (I expect other companies are similar) you just need to tell them and they will give you a Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card (free).

We have taken our own (Florida registered) car into Canada a couple of times, and we got the card from our insurance company, although no-one ever asked to see it.

Thanks both of you, I will await Rogers response.

Liz

Administrator
    I confirm what has been said above. You just need to make it known when you collect the car, then it will be fine.

Many thanks Roger. Looks like we can start planning

Liz

Super Moderator
    Just seen this we have taken a car from Manhattan up through Canada and back down without any problems - just let the car hire company know when we booked it what we were planning

Thanks Jill.
    we have done this before and never gave it a thought[msnscared] Once we crossed the border in Vermont and went into Canada for a couple of days and once we crossed in Montana going from Glacier National Park to Waterton Lakes, this time just for the day. Can't believe now that we did it without thinking![msnembarrased]

Liz

We never did get that trip last summer but are planning it this year. The best flights for us are into Toronto, so my question now is can we do it in reverse? Rent in Canada and travel into US.
    last time I was researching I found something about limited mileage in US but now I can't find it!
    I have been told that Avis are ok and don't limit the mileage in US but I don't think they atre one of the car hire companies offered by US car hire, could be wrong as I think I have read somewhere about Dollar taking over Avis or vice versa, or I might have dreamt it.
    i am very confused

Liz