Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Debit Card Info

Florida Junior

Debit Card Info

Hi hope someone can help answer a couple of questions

My daughter and her husband are going to orlando in April 2016 they are taking a pre paid card for day to day use

They only have a debit card and were wondering if they can use it if they have to in places like publcs or wallmart or in any parks.

Also can they get cash from the hole in the wall like over here.

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham,

Yes they will be fine. We've used our Irish debit cards all over USA, at Walmart, restaurants etc plus atm's. Do have them check re their own bank charges for use in USA - may be easier to take larger amounts to use "on the go" rather than incurring charges for every transaction

If you're renting a car, be sure to check with the hire company if they're OK with a debit card. They tend to prefer credit cards.

Otherwise, yes, use the ATMs to withdraw larger amounts to avoid too many per-transaction charges.
    Tony G

Florida Junior
    Hi

Thanks for the replies nice to know they can use debit card in an emergency

Regards

Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    Am I right in thinking you mean something like Fairfx or Travel passport (pre loaded card)? If they shouldn't have any problems, I've just come back and used my Fairfx card without trouble, last year it was declined in one shop but only $16 so had enough to pay anyway. Most of them have a 2% or figure for withdrawing cash. My niece found however when they used it as security for their hire car as they don't credit card, they actually blocked off $500 of their spending money which left them a bit short on funds. With credit card they don't actually take any or block any usually.
    Babblin Boo

We changed our car mid holiday last trip, all pre planned. We returned our first car and then my hubby realized he had left his cc in the safe back at the villa as we don't tend to use it on hols.
    i had a cc but knew they wouldn't accept mine as the booking was in his name. I was envisaging an expensive taxi ride to the villa and back but they accepted his debit card no questions asked and no security taken from card.
    That was Dollar.

Liz

Yes I have been using my Barclays Debit card for the past 5 years with no problem at Alamo.

It may also be an idea to inform the bank that they may be using the cards abroad. I have never had any issues but Mr M has problems every time, he has, in the past had his card cloned so I am assuming there is additional security on his account. We now use Travelex and have had no problems.
    Diane.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Madabouttigger View Post
    It may also be an idea to inform the bank that they may be using the cards abroad. I have never had any issues but Mr M has problems every time, he has, in the past had his card cloned so I am assuming there is additional security on his account. We now use Travelex and have had no problems.
    Sometimes I think notifying the bank is a waste of time. In the past we have twice had them block our cards when we have told them we were going. When we contacted them they said that although the computer has 'said no' a human does not then look at it and realise the computer should have said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    Sometimes I think notifying the bank is a waste of time. In the past we have twice had them block our cards when we have told them we were going. When we contacted them they said that although the computer has 'said no' a human does not then look at it and realise the computer should have said yes.
    We were actually told by the bank that notifying them does not mean your card will not be stopped if abroad so we gave up telling them. You never know who has access to the information that your home is going to be empty for several weeks at a time, the fewer people I tell then the better I feel.

Liz