Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Reroof - any recommendations

Florida Newbie

Reroof - any recommendations

We have just had a quote to get our single storey 3 bed room property reroofed.
    The quote seems quite high and having discussed with a couple of owners they seem to think so too but cannot recommend anyone.
    Has anyone had a recent reroof and can recommend the contractor.? - or give an idea on what sort of cost to expect.
    Many thanks

I've had two 3 bedroom homes reroofed in the last couple of years. The first was a couple of years ago, 2000 square foot single story and that was $5400. 3 skylights of odd size so had to be custom made.

The second was 1700 square foot single story (May this year) and that was $6000. Again odd sized skylights and I also had a roof top solar light installed in the kitchen.

On both occasions I got 3 or 4 quotes and went with the mid range company. He did a good job the first time around, so we used him the second time. His service was much poorer this time around. The roof was good (I think!) but his work was slow, I had to push and push to get it finished and it took so long we ended on pretty cooled off terms. Thankfully it was us in the house with no guests due to arrive so nobody was inconvenienced. Except us with a trailer to haul away the old roof tiles that he had parked on the front lawn for 2 weeks!!!

I would get 3 quotes and check the warranties.
    Sarah

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    I had to replace a roof several years ago, so price may have changed, but as above, it was $6,000. Also, as previously recommended, I'm a big fan of the three estimate theory.
    Mike

We had ours done in April 2014. We too had 3 quotes and did go for the top one at $7995. It was only $200 more than the next one but the shingle they use by GAF has a 50 year warranty. They were a fantastic group of workers, they took a large magnet all round the property to check for any metal and once finished sent in a professional window cleaner to clean all our windows. They were called Over the Top Roofers. Can't rate them highly enough, several friends have since used them, including our mail lady.

Florida Newbie
    Thank you all for your help. We took everyone's advise on board and have ended up with a new rook at us$8300 for 3319 sq ft. (including permits)

May I ask how long on average it takes for a new roof please?
    We are 2 storey if that makes a difference
    Dawn Murray

Administrator
    We just had ours done and the main roof was replaced in a day, then a second day just refitting gutters etc.

Florida Junior
    Why generally do roofs have to be redone, storm damage?it's seems common enough, just wondering

Shingles are used and they dont have a very long life. 15-25 years is typical. When replacimg it is worth investing in something that will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Why generally do roofs have to be redone, storm damage?it's seems common enough, just wondering