Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow boat to........Kissimmee ?...

Indian ridge oak Florida , South Godstone

Slow boat to........Kissimmee ?...

Hi everyone! (Mid life crisis time !)
    Not too sure if anyone is interested, but.... on the 22 Nov 2015, I will be departing Gran Canaria and sailing across the Atlantic to St Lucia, helping or hindering crewing a 51 foot yacht named Skyelark, should be between 16 to 19 days sailing!
    ASAP after arriving in the Carribean, I want to book a flight to Miami and then motor up to my villa at Indian Ridge Oaks, Kissimmee.
    The quicker the sail the more time I get to spend in Florida!
    Thats the plan anyway, what could possibly go wrong!
    Stay tuned!
    Tony

Good luck with the trip Tony - do keep us updated, whenever possible, can't wait to hear how it all goes

Wow, sounds fantastic!
    Have a safe trip and enjoy!

Liz

Stay safe and have a good crossing.

What an adventure !
    Gerry and Sue

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Good luck Tony. It sounds like a fabulous trip. Do keep us updated when you can.

Florida Chatterbox
    That sounds fantastic!! Do post again when you can to let us know how it's going.

Some pictures would be great, best of luck,

Mark.

Hi all ! Thank you for your kind responses.
    just a little insight into the sailing side of my Florida trip. This will be the 30th year of the ARC Atlantic rally for cruisers. Using the trade winds which in that part of the world flow from east to west, we sai south for a few days from Gran Canaria 'until the butter melts', just hope no one leaves the butter in the fridge or we could end up in Antartica ! Then we head west to the Caribbean where hopefully the hurricane season has finished ! On route we keep ourselves busy with learning to sail ! Fishing, making bread, and if we hit the doldrums, go for a swim where the depth of sea water is around 3.5 km (so must not drop anything ! )
    i depart Gatwick this Wednesday, so hopefully send you some pics of the boats preparing for their long voyage!
    Thats all for now, thanks for reading !
    tony

Hi everyone!
    Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, but what with Christmas, getting back to work and becoming a grandad! Life has been hectic.
    So the sail from Gran Canaries to St Lucia took 17 days, arriving at Rodney Bay marina at 4am in the morning, to be welcomed with rum punches, Champagne and a down pour of rain, the first we had for the whole trip.
    There was 6 of us on the boat plus the skipper and his wife, 'twas a strange feeling being pushed along by the wind and on occasions, very large waves, but I was always confident as the boat rode, and surf the waves brilliantly.
    During the time afloat we were sometimes bombared with flying fish while sitting in the cockpit during our 3 hour watches, strange feeling getting a fish hitting you in the head at night! During the day we see pilot whales, dolphins swimming along in the wake of the boat and birds which were in the middle of the Atlantic ?.
    So once in St Lucia, We all stayed, apart from skipper & wife, in a nice hotel until our individual flights were organised, it was a hard 4 days, as you can guess !
    Flew from St Lucia to Miami after taxi driver had given me a ride (what seemed like a tour of the beautiful island!) to the airport!
    Then drove up to the villa, arriving late at night, as I had a kip halfway up the Turnpike, in a lay-by, I must add!
    Next day breakfast at Celebration, shopping, then back to the villa to tidy up the gardens, a bit of touching up with paint, and basically a bit of maintaince cupboard doors etc.
    Following day Florida mall for pressies for the family, plus a bar meal at the new Mannys on the 192.
    Then due to my bad planning, 2 days at an hotel in International drive as I had guests arriving to stay at the villa.
    Departed Orlando international airport with Aer Lingus which means a stop over in Ireland. I was thinking to myself my little adventure is now over until I ended up sitting next to a Floridian on the plane, he said he would love to sample a quaint Irish pub, so that's what we did, a local joined in with our chat at the bar, so a few drinks later (to say the least!) we left for the airport!
    i have a few photos, but do not know how to down/up load on this page?