Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory fitted Sat Nav

Florida Newbie

Factory fitted Sat Nav

A growing number of vehicles come with Sat Nav units factory fitted. With the various groups of hire cars is there any guidance as which vehicles this applies to. I am looking at 4 possible choices and wondered if any come with built in Sat Nav:
    Full size saloon
    Premium saloon
    Mid size SUV
    Standard SUV

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I wish we could say but it really does depend on the vehicle you get. Having said that a lot of the larger models may well have sat nav and with the Choice locations where you pick the car from a line of cars in the class you have booked, you could look out for one with a sat nav in it and take that one.

Or take your phone with sat nav software on that does not need access to data (e.g. TomTom) and use that (we always do this ourselves as it saves having to work out how to use an in-built sat nav we've probably not used before).

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the reply, it was more out of curiosity and a question I was asked by someone else. I normally do it the old way and use maps. I have only had one problem with maps, when I missed a turn coming out of the airport and my daughter used her phone to show our position, admittedly this was the first i phone and before navigation apps, it appears much easier now.

Florida Junior
    Hello davec,

Remember ..... do not throw away your " Old Fashioned " Maps.

You can spread them out and really plan & see places rather than a short narrow band of map on sat nav.

Remember Places do not move ....... roads might change.

I think it's the luck of the draw....I always have an Impala and some have the sat nav and some don't. Go figure - we have one we bought from Walmart a few years back and take it with us "just in case"

Florida Junior
    I am in the Netherlands this week .

We up dated our road maps for Europe ....... 10 free road maps from Norway to Croatia & U.k & Ireland

My 20 year + nephews have been studding them with glee as they now know how to travel from Venlo to Berlin

And back to Munich & Home to Venlo

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    In over 60 models of cars over the years, never a basic model, usually the bigger SUV's or People Carriers, I can only recall 1 vehicle having built in sat nav.

That said we don't need it as I bought one from Walmart years ago..
    mike

Florida Chatterbox
    We were over two weeks ago and as there was 7 of us, we treated ourselves to a Suburban. Fantastic car and had everything fitted as standard. . . . apart from the sat nav!

It seemed as if it was supposed to have sat nav and we presumed it had been disconnected so that we would have to pay extra. It was a bit picky and a bit cheeky to do this when you are paying a lot more for a higher grade car.
    Andy

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Some of them have them and some do not. If there is more than one in the lot, it's worth checking them all just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
    We were over two weeks ago and as there was 7 of us, we treated ourselves to a Suburban. Fantastic car and had everything fitted as standard. . . . apart from the sat nav!

It seemed as if it was supposed to have sat nav and we presumed it had been disconnected so that we would have to pay extra. It was a bit picky and a bit cheeky to do this when you are paying a lot more for a higher grade car.

Florida Junior
    They may be fitted But policy is to keep control device in reception desk till you order it and pay.