Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Global Entry programme now available for UK travellers

We got our Global Entry a couple of years ago and I can say it works flawlessly.

When we arrive we go to the very furthest right hand lane (next to where the flight crew go) and there are 2 GE kiosks there. We just have to put in our passports and complete questions which takes a few minutes. We are then waved through ahead of even the flight crew (a bit embarrassing sometimes!!) Once we collect luggage, there is another line for Global Entry to get past the final customs.

We rarely have luggage, usually just hand luggage and we are normally out at the car about 15 to 20 minutes after we land.
    Last edited by autumnc; 04-11-2015 at 17:56.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by autumnc View Post
    We got our Global Entry a couple of years ago and I can say it works flawlessly.

When we arrive we go to the very furthest right hand lane (next to where the flight crew go) and there are 2 GE kiosks there. We just have to put in our passports and complete questions which takes a few minutes. We are then waved through ahead of even the flight crew (a bit embarrassing sometimes!!) Once we collect luggage, there is another line for Global Entry to get past the final customs.

We rarely have luggage, usually just hand luggage and we are normally out at the car about 15 to 20 minutes after we land.

It may not be so quick if everyone registers!!

Quote Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
    It may not be so quick if everyone registers!!
    Yes, I know

But the £42 UK processing fee, the $100 US membership fee, the fee for the police report (£10-80) and the time and effort of the face to face interview will put off most 1 or 2 time visitors, so I think it would probably only be regular visitors that will make the effort.

I wouldn't go through all that hassle unless I was making regular trips.
    Sarah

Florida Chatterbox freddiehollie's Avatar
    We make regular trips, there's better ways for me to spend my money..

Especially if its for individuals not families.

As I said, It's really another money making scheme:-(

A bit like that copper (at least he admitted it) wanting to fine drivers for driving at 71 in a 70, even though no car speedo is that accurate.
    mike

Yes, that's per person I think, so it's quite a high price for families.

We applied in Florida so didn't have to pay the UK fee and we attended the interview in Orlando while we were there, so $20 a year for several trips a year is well worth it for us.
    Sarah

Interesting that you say there is a global entry line for customs as well as immigration. On recent trips to MCO we have been through immigration very quickly using the new kiosks but have then been caught in a line at customs.

Liz

Yes, when you reach customs after you've collected your luggage, there is a seperate line to the right that says GE, so you just go and wait there and they call you up next in front of the regular line.

We usually reach there well before luggage has come through though (we only have hand luggage), so we just wait if there's only a few people in line. I'd just feel way too cheeky to jump a queue that only had a handful of people in it.

The one time we did use it, we had luggage that had been delayed and the line for customs was backed right up to the luggage carousel with only 1 guy on the desk. There were about 100 people in the line, so we thought ahhh what the heck, the daggers in our back will drop off soon! We moved to the front, stood by the GE sign and were called up straight away.

It must have taken ages for that line to go down and I have no idea why they only had 1 customs officer when it was so busy. That's the only time we've had to use it there though.
    Sarah

When we came through a couple of weeks ago we used the kiosks and it was very quick, but the customs us a joke now. Previously you just walked through and handed in your form. This time we had to wait in line which snaked round and round, only two people on and they asked all the questions that were already on the form. Wasn't a happy bunny I can tell you, took longer than the immigration, it's not an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by autumnc View Post
    Yes, that's per person I think, so it's quite a high price for families.

We applied in Florida so didn't have to pay the UK fee and we attended the interview in Orlando while we were there, so $20 a year for several trips a year is well worth it for us.
    We are in Florida at the moment and going for our interview next week. What type of questions do they ask at the interview Sarah?
    Maureen Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Green View Post
    We are in Florida at the moment and going for our interview next week. What type of questions do they ask at the interview Sarah?
    Do you know, I really can't remember!! It must have been pretty mundane questions because nothing at all sticks in my mind. I seem to remember it was a very quick interview, they looked over the required paperwork (police report etc.) and it was done with a lot quicker than we expected.

Sorry not to be much help!
    Sarah