Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Our 33rd Florida Trip

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester

Our 33rd Florida Trip

Well we are here again, and having had a busy year we are glad of the rest.

We arrived on 6th October, a little earlier than normal but wanted to be here for my birthday on the 8th.

Everything in the villa was fine, but the gate had suffered some damage over the summer, so Bill decided he needed to make a new one. Well that job got done in small doses over the first 2 weeks we were here, and an excellent job he made.

We have visited all 4 Disney Parks and Sea World and we are having a lovely time although I do miss the grandchildren (and the children).

While waiting for the ferry to go over to Magic Kingdom we got into conversation with a cast member who told us that Hollywood Studios (MGM) was the last park to open, I said no the last park to open was Animal Kingdom, which did not open until 1998 when MGM opened in 1989, he told me he had worked for Disney for 11 years and that he knew when the parks opened. I told him we had been visiting Disney since 1993 and Animal Kingdom was not open on our first few visits, he still insisted that he was right and I was wrong, have to say I thought a Cast Member should be trained not to argue with a customer especially when they are wrong!

Well enough of my rant, it really did get to me, we are off to Fort Myers Beach on Sunday for a few days so will let you know if we do anything interesting
    Lyn

Hi, thanks for the trip report! Was SeaWorld busy? I am wondering how the park is coping after the release of Black Fish, It was one of our favourite parks but don't know now if we will visit again.

Enjoy the beach, I would love some of that Florida sun right now!
    Diane.

Sea World has been busy. People are beginning to realise the good work that Sea World does and that Blackfish was not a documentary, things were twisted and taken out of context. We are great supporters of Sea World and hate how much harm PETA are trying to do to them.
    Lyn

Florida Chatterbox
    I am not really sure how you can take one whale killing two trainers (and one other person) out of context, can't think of any context that makes this alright. I personally thought the film made some very compelling arguments that keeping Killer Whales in captivity, splitting up their family groups, keeping them in relatively small tanks and risking peoples lives for entertainment is not only cruel, but also irresponsible. Again, I am not sure what context can make this seem right.

Personally, I suspect that this is the start of the end of keeping these amazing creatures in captivity, I note that California are trying to ban Seaworlds breading programme and it has been widely reported that their visitor levels are significantly down. I guess this will end up in the same place as keeping elephants and tigers in travelling circuses, freak shows, drowning suspected witches or gladiator battles, it seemed OK at the time but is now considered (by the vast majority) as abhorrent. It is just natural progress in understanding and awareness and shifting of social norms.

Still, there is so much more to do in Orlando that thankfully doesn't cause misery for the sake of entertainment. We are there again next year and will be giving all of the seaworld parks a wide birth (Aquatica, Seaworld, Busch Gardens and Discovery cove).
    Last edited by FraserLynn; 01-11-2015 at 00:51.

Thanks for the trip report. Been a bit short of these lately!

Also good to hear SeaWorld has been busy. I'd never have any hesitations about going to their parks, I love all of them. Looking forward to going back next year, hopefully Mako will be open.

We went to Seaworl in October and was very busy so hopefully people are hearing the other side of the good work that sea world do.

Florida Expert
    We love Sea World and all its' other parks - Busch Gardens and Aquatica. We were there for their Halloween celebrations and it was very busy then...
    Despite the misconceptions caused by the Blackfish fiasco, Sea World does a great deal of incredible work rescuing and rehabilitating many animals - long may they continue...!

Florida Expert
    We have just come in from the Christmas Show at Sea World, it was packed everywhere with a lovely atmosphere and superb special,events including ice skating,o wonderful night and a special shamu show, we really enjoyed it
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by erowlands View Post
    We have just come in from the Christmas Show at Sea World, it was packed everywhere with a lovely atmosphere and superb special,events including ice skating,o wonderful night and a special shamu show, we really enjoyed it
    Eric
    We were there yesterday as well, just love Sea World at Christmas (and any other time for that matter)
    Lyn