Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Sat Nav Hire.

Florida Newbie

Sat Nav Hire.

With the young drivers Package the option of a Sat Nav hire is not available through Florida car Rental. I was wondering if anyone has hired one through eBay. There are lots of people on there renting them out and would like to hear of peoples experience with this sort of arrangement.

Thanks.
    budvar

Its probably cheaper to buy a unit over there. You can pick them up for around $50 - $60. Then sell it on eBay when you get back. Or buy one with UK and USA maps on it.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    If you have a smart phone, download the Waze navigation app. I'm not sure if it works in the UK, but is great in the US.
    Mike

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunVilla View Post
    If you have a smart phone, download the Waze navigation app. I'm not sure if it works in the UK, but is great in the US.
    Would this not be internet based. When in Florida I have roaming switched off and rely on WiFi so anything that relies on the internet would be no good when in the car. Also if you keep roaming on it would cost a fortune, cheaper to go out and buy a Sat Nav.
    Lyn

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Or if you are on Three in the UK, you get Just Like Hone Dualling and can use your phone (and data) in the US like you do in the UK totally free of charge. In fact that's exactly what I'm using to write this message and will be using in the car for navigation later on today.

If you're not on Three then try doing a search for SYGIC they have an offer on at the moment so that you can have full U.S. SatNav on your phone for £17 after you install the App you can choose the region to download and after that no connection is needed.

I've used it in both the U.S. and Europe with no problems.

Dave
    Dave Lewis

I use the Tomtom app on my iPhone and I think it's excellent.

Yes, it costs a little more than some others (I think I paid £30 years a go) but the software is great and the maps are good.
    Tony G

Florida Newbie
    I used the Navmii GPS USA app (free) on my Iphone when I was in Florida in April. It downloads the maps to your phone so no need to use data.

Florida Chatterbox DisneyFunVilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    Would this not be internet based. When in Florida I have roaming switched off and rely on WiFi so anything that relies on the internet would be no good when in the car. Also if you keep roaming on it would cost a fortune, cheaper to go out and buy a Sat Nav.
    That's a very good point, Lyn. You do have to have a data plan that you are willing to use if you want to use Waze.
    Mike

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for all the advice, I've just bought a Tom Tom off ebay with with the latest US maps for a reasonable price. So i'm ready to go.
    budvar